Veggie suggestions

iyengar21(z7 MD)February 14, 2008

I have a west-facing balcony that is approx. 10' x 3'. I'm already planning to plant some flowers and herbs but would like to add some veggies too. So far I have tomatoes and maybe sweet and chili peppers in mind but have no idea what varieties do well in containers other than grape and cherry tomatoes.

I would like suggestions from all you expert gardeners on what veggies do well in containers and also specific varieties. What size containers will I need? Also, when should I start seeds indoors? I'm sure I'm not the only one getting antsy for gardening season!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
october17(5chgo)

I had good luck with bush beans in a window box size planter. Also grow spinach in a window box type. I start it early in a clear plastic bag (winter sow). Works great. But - I do use new miracle grow soil for my veggies.

Bookmark   March 3, 2008 at 7:45PM
mommymammal(z5NY)

If you read around on this site you'll see that almost any veggies can be grown in containers. I'd let your choices be dictated by your tastes--what do you like to eat? Make a wish list of your favorites, then use the "search" function to find specific information on each crop. I have the best luck with self-watering containers--search for instructions for homemade earth boxes. They really cut down on watering chores!

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 10:17PM
veggievicki(7b)

With your spinach and lettuce, just take a scissor and cut off the outer leaves. They'll keep growing forever. One year, at the end of fall, I mulched my spinach real well, and that spring those same spinach plants started shooting out leaves. I had spinach in march.

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 8:28PM
iyengar21(z7 MD)

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have decided to make a few of those self-watering containers. In those I'll put tomatoes and eggplant. I've also decided to grow jalapenos, spinach and bush beans and several herbs.

Thanks for the spinach suggestion veggievicki. Great ideas!

I have a new question now. While my balcony will be free of rabbits, squirrels etc., insects are another issue. I prefer not to use chemicals to deter them. I've heard marigolds are good for repelling garden pests but are there any other flowers that work too? Thanks!

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 3:07PM
sumilea2008(Marlborough MA Zone 5)

I went a little overboard on my Balcony Garden =).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kumato/

Its starting to become a Jungle!

Sumilea

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 4:20PM
october17(5chgo)

Insects are the reason I tried the spinach in the window box containers. No more slugs or sowbugs. I keep the planter up on a little plant stand and no earwigs either!

What insects gave you a problem?

Not sure if you have Japanese beetles over there. They've never bothered my beans yet, but they do go after my basil. I plant the basil in a round pot, stick a small tomato cage in it, drape the cage in some (bridal veil) type netting fabric. Works great to keep the beetles off.

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Balcony garden in Wisconsin.
My sister has a 2nd floor apartment with balcony and...
sarcastichousewife
How can I make unique?
How can I make my balcony gardening unique?Please give...
Sanjok Dangol
Need help for my balcony kitchen garden
Hi from Ahmedabad. I have two big balcony of about...
saisula
Identify and suggestions
There is a 4 x 6ft area outside the main window of...
vr46
Container watermelon
This is the third year we have been growing watermelons...
Misty2629
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™