where to buy Rapid Set Cement

rhonda2006February 25, 2006

I live in central illinois and I am looking to buy Rapid Set cement or something similiar. Can someone tell me where I may be able to find it?? I have tried Lowe's and Home Depot without any luck. Or can someone suggest another product that may work just as well.

Thanks very much,

Rhonda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflybush

I bought my quick setting concrete from Home Depot. I used it to make a thin first layer on a bucket. It sets up in 15 minutes. Did you ask someone who actually works in that department?

Bookmark   February 27, 2006 at 12:04PM
solana(z5a NH)

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Mason Contractor's Equipment and Supplies". The better lumber yards (where contractors shop) around here have it too. And they'll load it for you.

Bookmark   March 6, 2006 at 9:23PM
wannadanc(z8 WA)

Be careful in the use of that .......speaking from experience, I have had HUGE failures with items crumbling. Pavers that now look like gravel!!!!!! Some took a year to break down, but I will never AGAIN use quick set type concrete for art projects.

My own mix of Portland cement, sand, and bonding mix has withstood the test of time, as I have hundreds of leaves - some of them HUGE - and not one has turned to gravel - after 3 years of being outside.

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 9:36AM
rhonda2006

Thanks for the warning. Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Looks like it's back to the drawing board. :) Rhonda

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 9:42AM
wannadanc(z8 WA)

Rhonda - can you use regular concrete mix??? That is what I will do when I go back to making things that broke to bits. It IS cheaper than rapid set, anyway.

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 12:29PM
rhonda2006

I have used a cement/sand mix so far just to play with. I still have lots to learn in the endeavor. The only real problem I have had is the air bubbles on the surface. Some of my molds are pretty detailed. Right now, I'm waiting for the weather to break. I'm looking at 3 inches of snow in my backyard.

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 1:56PM
billie_ann(6b PA)

rhonda, Even the most experienced casters get "air bubbles" because there are so many things that can cause them. Too much mixing, the mold release, the temperature, the ingredients,the mold, all of these can cause air bubbles. Sometimes it helps to vibrate the mold and other times you're only adding to the problem. You can make a slurry from the same recipe to rub on the air bubbles but to my eye you always see them on a mortar mix (cement & sand). Billie

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 9:37PM
rhonda2006

Thanks billie ann. Looks like I will have to let go of a perfect piece, and do the best I can and see what happens.

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 10:06AM
rhonda2006

Sorry for another question. It's my brain on delay. ha! Would I have better results with less air bubbles if I used cement mix?? Thanks.

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
Memorial bench...plants for behind it
I have placed a memorial bench at the back corner of...
cadillactaste
any ideas- decorative and cheap wisteria support?
You know - it's going to be a long time before this...
cheerpeople
Baja chairs
Thought I'd posted a followup - it's disappeared. I...
rosiew
Repainting my garden statues
These were all just repainted, very weather/sun beaten...
aputernut
What are these?
Just moved in to a new house. These are hanging in...
eptronic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™