wooden sidewalk ideas

LindaQB(z6 Kansas)February 12, 2005

I am thinking of putting a wooden sidewalk down my back yard to the ponds, garden etc.
Does anyone have any opinions, good or bad regarding this idea? Does anyone have any ideas to make this easily and cheaply, I don't have much extra cash to do this.
Any suggestions would be most greatly appriciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BDnBAMA(7/Alabama)

This is what I did for making a wooden walkway. I don't know how cheap you could get by with. That would depend on how far you go with it. It is made of landscaping timbers placed a distance apart then boards laid & nailed across them. I just let the wood age naturally & I really like it. Bettyclick for a larger pic

Bookmark   February 13, 2005 at 1:07AM
RuralGardener(z5 IN)

Betty, all your pictures are wonderful!

Bookmark   February 14, 2005 at 11:02AM
BDnBAMA(7/Alabama)

Thanks RG! I appreciate your comment. Betty

Bookmark   February 14, 2005 at 10:23PM
davek913(Z5 Northern IN)

BDnBAMA, that's a nice job there. Good use of the timbers as well. It's a good thing I didn't think of that last year when I was in "landscape timber mode". I must have bought around 40 of them all told, and started making tree rings and sidewalk edging with them.

Linda, that's about as good an idea as I've seen. The only other thing I can come up with off the top of my head are these prefab wooden squares they sell at some home centers. They're treated frames with treated boards nailed to them to make 16"x16" or 24"x24" squares. I don't know how much they cost, but they might be neat if you wanted a "stepping stone" effect rather than a straight path.

It also depends on how much $$$ and how long a path you're talking about. If I remember right, the timbers I bought were around $3 for one 8' long, so an 8 foot section would be $6 for the frame. If you made it 2' wide and used 2x6 lumber for the top, you would need around 4.5 8 foot boards.A 2x6x8 treated board will probably run around $4 or thereabouts, so you would be talking about $24 for an 8 foot section 2 feet wide.

Bookmark   February 16, 2005 at 3:03AM
joyce_zone5(5)

Do you have lake with homes on it any where near you? Last year while I was driving around the lakes I saw 2 piles of wooden pier stacked up with free signs. Folks are trading in their wooden ones for those fancier maintence free types. Now I wish I had dragged those home with me!

Bookmark   February 19, 2005 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Moon Gates
Hello all! I'm trying to figure out how to make a moon...
CEFreeman
Avoiding Standing Water in Hose Pot
Finally found a lovely cobalt blue hose pot to keep...
ntrainer
re-webbing old style aluminum furniture
I have some cool old aluminum chairs that I would like...
cateyanne
Baja chairs
Thought I'd posted a followup - it's disappeared. I...
rosiew
HUGE, flat, slanted tree stumps on hill!!!! Help!
After Sandy I decided to cut two huge trees on the...
sirenac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™