Watering Plants On The Balcony?

awestruckApril 23, 2014

I have started a garden on my balcony, made up of several plants in fabric pots. I have 2 balconies, and the one in the back I am using. The way I water the plants is to bring a long hose up and attach it to a soaker hose which lays over the potted plants. This seems to work well, however, if I have to start using the balcony in the front, I am not going to be able to pull a hose through the railings, like I can do in the back. I do have a bathroom which opens onto the balcony, and could attach a hose to the sink possibly. How do people normally water their plants on the balcony without using a hose?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)

Ya know the water u waste while waiting for it to heat up for the shower? I save Arizona tea jugs and leave em beside tub and fill em with that water. For me, its about 1/2 gallon of saved water each shower. I like the tea jugs cuz of the wider opening. I also use the jugs to mix in my plant food.
bonnie

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 12:59AM
Linda

Ice cubes.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 1:08AM
awestruck

I could get a watering can or a spray bottle, but I have been told not to 'water from the top'. Maybe with a watering can I can just water around the plant? This could be an option if it can hold enough water to water all the plants!

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 12:24PM
gardenper(8)

Watering from the top is still OK, even if there are reasons not to.

However, having said that, if you like to take that precaution, you don't have to water from directly overhead. You can water from the side and let the water drip into the lower portions of the plant/soil, as opposed to the entire plant. It will be similar to how you are letting water drip to the plant's bottoms.

An alternative to the watering can, which is hard to direct the water flow, is to have a bucket and cup or glass and that way, direct the location of water with even more care.

I have also become a fan of the ice cube method for certain plants that I don't want to over-water.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 12:33PM
awestruck

Wouldn't ice cubes cause the plants to be in shock or would the coldness of it cause trauma to the plants?

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
what to do for the winter
Hello, I have the following plants on my balcony and...
fzyflwrchld
Unhealthy Dandelions
Hello, I have several pots of dandelions growing from...
saleve
How can I make unique?
How can I make my balcony gardening unique?Please give...
Sanjok Dangol
What is the name of that plant?
Can I know what is the name of the plant of whose picture...
saisanjeev
Daffodils
Hi there! I'm a complete beginner at this so bear with...
RuthScales
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™