Huge Vase Fountians....

gardenlady48(z5 IL)April 12, 2005

Have any of you turned a LARGE Ceramic Vase into a fountian? If so, does the insided need to be glazed? I would appreciate any experience shared with this type of fountian....Thanks in advance.

Pam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tufaenough

How huge?
Ceramics could be a problem in winter but I suspect if you put it away for winter it should work OK.

Bookmark   April 14, 2005 at 12:32AM
arcy_gw

I made a bowling ball/penny fountain and suspended it above/inside a very large bell shaped garden pot. It is tera cotta and not glazed. I read a lot of techniques here and ended up not glazing or painting the inside. It ran all summer and did not sweat too bad. I had it outside on my deck. We brought it in for the winter.

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 2:53PM
paste592(6bMD)

arcy, I would love to see a photo of that!

Pat

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 5:44PM
lynnt(Z7 MD)

I bought a large Vietnamese ceramic pot at COSTCO last summer, big enough to hold a three-year-old, that already had two holes in the bottom. It was glazed on the outside only. Following directions in a BHG article, I
- painted the inside of the pot with several layers of deck sealer, which I let dry for about a week,
- pushed the plug of a pump through one hole and caulked around the wire with exterior-grade silicon caulk (I left about a foot of the cord free inside the pot),
- caulked a right-angled hose connector into the other hole (thus preventing the hose from kinking on its way out of the pot and also allowing for easier disassembly for winter)
- ran one short hose inside the pot from the pump to the connector, and another much longer hose outside the pot up a fence, where I connected it to
- another right-angle connector I caulked into the back of a Toscano Bacchus-face sculpture, which already has a three-inch length of hose sticking out of the mouth. The mask is hung about five feet up on the fence, so the stream from its mouth arcs back into the pot.

Result: a homemade spouting Bacchus fountain for about $130, pump and hoses included. I have water plants that come inside for the winter, and I plan to buy new feeder goldfish to stock the pot as soon as the weather is reliably warmer. The deck sealer didn't seem to hurt last year's fish.

Does this help?

LynnT

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 3:28PM
Garden_trolip(Toasty)

Here is a pic of my latest pond :) The pot is ceramic. It took me about 2 hours with a grinding attachment to my drill to get the drainage hole big enough for the tubing. I didn't seal since it is ceramic.

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 11:04PM
use2bcapecodr(z5 OH)

Very nice, Garden trolip!

~Sandy~

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
HUGE, flat, slanted tree stumps on hill!!!! Help!
After Sandy I decided to cut two huge trees on the...
sirenac
looking for help
I always want to have a garden in my own house. Now,...
may3
where can I find repacement chimney for metal chiminea?
Greetings all! I have a cast iron chiminea which I...
otherchuck
Sidewalk trash to new outdoor sink!
I've been day dreaming about a outdoor sink for couple...
aptruncata
Need Help Finding Terra-Cotta Hummingbird Clock
I am looking for this clock to match my thermometer....
dubmann
Sponsored Products
Elk Lighting 19.5H in. Ruby Vase - 93-5860
$114.00 | Hayneedle
Jane Seymour Holiday Rose and Ilex 15 in. Silk Flower Arrangement - JSB138-RDGR
$77.50 | Hayneedle
Bissete Etched Mercury-Glass Bottle Vase - SILVER
$40.00 | Horchow
Shanghai Vase by Kartell
$235.00 | Lumens
Cora Porcelain Vase with Bronze Base and Rim
$699.00 | FRONTGATE