City balcony fountain--best design

roxcandy(z5 MKE, WI)April 29, 2005

Hi, What is the best (noisiest) design for a city balcony fountain (e.g., geyser, spitter, many levels, etc.)? I ordered a 6V 45gph solar pond and pump, and now need to choose my pond and/or statuary. I'd like advice from the more experienced.

I have a 4 x 15', 8th floor balcony and am most interested in drowning out traffic. I'm open design-wise, including classic, modern, or funky looks (not big on rustic). I considered buying a 24" by 7" deep rigid pond liner, edging it with stones, and putting the pond pump in the center (geyser). How does that sound? How about nice ways to dress it up? I'm open to your suggestions and ideas ... both decoratively, and what will make good noise in a small space.

Wind can get extreme, so my only real requirement is that the feature not be top-heavy. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lillie1441(b3 TX)

I would be concerned with the weight of a water feature on a balcony.Have you checked to see if the balcony is sufficently supported to allow for this? I would deffinitely check the building code before adding the fountain..........Lillie

Bookmark   April 30, 2005 at 2:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roxcandy(z5 MKE, WI)

I know I need to be sensitive to weight. The 24 x 7" pond liner holds 13G, for a total of less than 130 pounds. I would not go heavier than that. I also saw some cascading designs that you fill, where not visible, with aluminum cans, pottery, or other lightweight fill.

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
Moon Gates
Hello all! I'm trying to figure out how to make a moon...
CEFreeman
Garden Markers
What is a good source for garden markers? I need at...
lemonthyme5
Looking for help identifying maker of this fountain
Hi I have a gorgeous cherub fountain in my yard that...
Priti_NewToGardening
covering a container
I have a shipping container I use as a shed. Is there...
isaiah6624
Sidewalk trash to new outdoor sink!
I've been day dreaming about a outdoor sink for couple...
aptruncata
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™