aluminum garden gate finial

littledog(z7 OK)April 19, 2005

I recently rescued a swell cast aluminum Cocker Spaniel from the chain link fence gate where he'd been for about 50 years. (the house is coming down at the end of this month, and I couldn't let them haul such a neat little dog to the dump) He's since been mounted on my front gate where he can keep an eye on the comings and goings here.

He got me thinking; when was a child in Virginia, it seemed like almost everyone had some neat-o cast gate finial. (except us, we just had those dumb old curliques) These were not mounted on a post, but rather, on the gate itself to dress up an otherwise drab chain link fence. Along with the Cocker Spaniel, I can recall seeing a German Shepherd, a horse with a rider, and a Borzoi. Are there others, and what are they really called?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sarahsaid(z8TX)

Nobody knows what these are called? I impaled myself on our cocker head thing on the fence gate when I was a wee pup trying to escape from my horrid brother and the gate was locked.What are these called? I wish I could find them myself.

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 3:10PM
Clare(z6 MO)

I'd call them finials, too, but maybe there's another name. A fence company in my neighborhood has several of these displayed with their fence samples. You could phone a fence company to ask about them.

Bookmark   April 30, 2005 at 10:36PM
littledog(z7 OK)

Clare, what is the name of that fence company? Are they the real cast meatl ones? What styles/designs do they have?

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 2:36AM
auntjen

My next-door neighbor has the cocker spaniel on his chain link gate! Makes me smile everytime I glance over into his yard and see it.

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Need Help Finding Terra-Cotta Hummingbird Clock
I am looking for this clock to match my thermometer....
dubmann
Patterns for garden clothes?
I know a lot of people on GW are crafty and make their...
beesneeds
where can I find repacement chimney for metal chiminea?
Greetings all! I have a cast iron chiminea which I...
otherchuck
Incredible garden gnome
I found this cute little garden gnome and just have...
cathy_in_the_garden
Tiki Torches
Hello Everyone, I'm not 100% sure if I'm putting this...
hardee38
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™