balcony gardening

sunnymari79April 15, 2014

I'm new to gardening! I would like to grow herbs and veggies on my balcony but I live in new York, next to the beach. what kind or veggies and herbs can I grow? how can I keep the pest away naturally? what time of soil and pots do I use? I want to have an organic garden.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnymari79

By the way, I face the sunrise!

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 2:53PM
Ecl09

You have a lot of options, but one thing you want to check is that you choose herbs and vegetables that fairly tolerant, as many plants have a very low tolerance for high amounts of salt in soil. I have included a link to a few tips for growing vegetables by the sea. You will find a list of salt tolerant veggies in the article as well as some recommendations for enriching your soil with organic matter. I think you will find some useful info here.

Unfortunately, the article I included talks mostly about raised gardens that probably won't fit on your balcony. So I would recommend incorporating some of those soil tips into a vertical garden for your balcony. You can find tips for saving space with a vertical garden here: http://renters.apartments.com/space-saving-tips-for-balcony-and-patio-gardens

Here is a link that might be useful: Seaside Vegetable Garden

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 1:10AM
emily78

I'm having a lot of luck with garlic! I took an old clove that had a long green shoot from the fridge and stuck it in potting soil. In just over a week it's 6 inches tall with 6 leaves.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
Cala Lillies
Hi! I received a gift of some beautiful Calla Lillies...
RuthScales
Need help for my balcony kitchen garden
Hi from Ahmedabad. I have two big balcony of about...
saisula
splotchy leaves
I tried to Google what it might be but keywords "splotchy...
fzyflwrchld
what to do for the winter
Hello, I have the following plants on my balcony and...
fzyflwrchld
Identify and suggestions
There is a 4 x 6ft area outside the main window of...
vr46
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™