balcony gardening

sunnymari79April 15, 2014

I'm new to gardening! I would like to grow herbs and veggies on my balcony but I live in new York, next to the beach. what kind or veggies and herbs can I grow? how can I keep the pest away naturally? what time of soil and pots do I use? I want to have an organic garden.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnymari79

By the way, I face the sunrise!

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 2:53PM
Ecl09

You have a lot of options, but one thing you want to check is that you choose herbs and vegetables that fairly tolerant, as many plants have a very low tolerance for high amounts of salt in soil. I have included a link to a few tips for growing vegetables by the sea. You will find a list of salt tolerant veggies in the article as well as some recommendations for enriching your soil with organic matter. I think you will find some useful info here.

Unfortunately, the article I included talks mostly about raised gardens that probably won't fit on your balcony. So I would recommend incorporating some of those soil tips into a vertical garden for your balcony. You can find tips for saving space with a vertical garden here: http://renters.apartments.com/space-saving-tips-for-balcony-and-patio-gardens

Here is a link that might be useful: Seaside Vegetable Garden

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 1:10AM
emily78

I'm having a lot of luck with garlic! I took an old clove that had a long green shoot from the fridge and stuck it in potting soil. In just over a week it's 6 inches tall with 6 leaves.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
Planting my starts 2015
It is time to plant my seeds in cups so I have well...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Plant wilting
I bought this plant about 3 weeks ago and have recently...
hilste
Cala Lillies
Hi! I received a gift of some beautiful Calla Lillies...
RuthScales
Wilting plant
Can you tell me what is wrong with this plant please....
hilste
time to get your starts planted
Just check to see what other are doing as far as getting...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™