What color should I paint patio furniture?

kitchen4usApril 7, 2008

Perhaps I should post this on another forum, just wanted your opinion on what color you would paint some patio furniture (chairs and table). The chairs look like rod iron but are probably not, and need to be painted. I was hoping to spray them, not sure if they should be primed as well.

Some thoughts...recently I saw an outdoor cafe at a nice hotel that had white rod iron looking furniture with forest green cushions and forest green umbrellas. It looked very nice - very striking, in fact. Just wondering if you think the white outdoor furniture if sealed right would be hard to keep up. The chairs I bought are currently black, but either way they need to be refinished. Thanks for any feedback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinacat_sunflower(7)

I like cobalt blue, white, and forest green for wrought, cast, and bar-stock iron furniture. and personally, I prefer the satin finish to the high-gloss.

depending on the health of the iron (if the rust is built up to the point of bubbling and flaking, for instance) Rustoleum's made a career of 'no fuss' metal painting, and their paints are self-priming to a degree.

that being said - spray paint is far easier to apply, but you'll need to recoat it four or five times to get something even close to as solid a coat as you'll get with one brushed-on layer. if the furniture is relatively simple, I'd go with their enamels in cans, and a disposable brush.

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 12:40PM
RichardOak

I had a friend who recycled his old dining tables and furniture as patio furniture and I have to say that it worked out for him rather well as it added a rustic look to his garden.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 4:55AM
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

I have old wrought iron furniture. It is hard to change the color without some serious work. You need to sand well and be sure to get rid of any rust or at least use a rust inhibiting primer after sanding. I have always gone from one dark color to another (brown, green, black). I don't know about going from black to white. I have heard people say they have taken pieces to places to have them powder coated and one person suggested a car painting company as an option if you can get them to do it for you. I have considered asking the body shop guys who have fixed our cars when they needed body work. haven't yet because they are always so busy.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 8:18PM
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

Just saw the date of the OP. Sorry-didn't realize someone had revived the thread! :)

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Patterns for garden clothes?
I know a lot of people on GW are crafty and make their...
beesneeds
Garden Markers
What is a good source for garden markers? I need at...
lemonthyme5
Baja chairs
Thought I'd posted a followup - it's disappeared. I...
rosiew
where can I find repacement chimney for metal chiminea?
Greetings all! I have a cast iron chiminea which I...
otherchuck
covering a container
I have a shipping container I use as a shed. Is there...
isaiah6624
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™