Painting Wooden Planter Boxes

FirstPlanItMay 16, 2005

Would like to paint my redwood cedar planter boxes black. I am guessing they need to be sealed on the inside to prevent the paint from blistering on the outside due to water moving through the wood. Is this true, what products should I use? Has anybody successfully painted wood containers that have lasted more that a couple of years?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TwoMonths(So Calif)

To clarify: Do you mean the Cedar boxes were painted with a Redwood stain?

Asking cause our fence put up two years ago was a choice of cedar or redwood...looked like redwood and that is what the paperwork said....we sealed ours with Kilz and then painted to match the rest of the fence around the house. We had gone half with the neighbor and they were made that the wood was warping...saying we watered too much. Of course they did not paint their side.

Now we are replacing the back fence and the man giving estimates said the fence was not cedar or redwood, but a softwood painted to look like redwood.

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 12:56AM
FirstPlanIt

No the cedar is raw at the moment. And it is real cedar. I live in an area where we grow it here. It is tongue and groove, smooth 1 side, rough the other. There is nothing on it yet. Your posting brings up an interesting point. I will more than likely have to paint both sides, as warping will probably occur with only one side painted.

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 9:40AM
Monte(6-NE NJ)

I would suggest that instead of painting you should get a penetrating oil stain. They can be mixed in many colors including black. Good quality stain will not peel and will also protect the wood from UV damage

Any Home Depot/Lowes will have fence and deck stain that will work fine for this. You may even find an "oops" can for a few dollars and have them add in some more black pigment if it is not a color you like.

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 9:55AM
susan6(z6a)

A number of years ago we built some cedar planter boxes and I used Olympic opaque oil stain inside and out. The stain never blistered or peeled and outlasted the wood, which finally rotted out. They don't make stain as well now, but it still holds up better than any paint.

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
Memorial bench...plants for behind it
I have placed a memorial bench at the back corner of...
cadillactaste
Keeping Outdoor Cushions Looking New
My wife and I just spent nearly $200 on outdoor furniture...
raymondo17
HUGE, flat, slanted tree stumps on hill!!!! Help!
After Sandy I decided to cut two huge trees on the...
sirenac
Dissapearing Fountain
Hi, I�m new to the Forum and have questions...
WCoast-Artist
painted oak benches
How long do you think untreated, painted oak benches...
lucille
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™