Looking for instructions for a large box for my balcony

frogluvrrrMay 20, 2006

I'm wanting to transfer most of my container plants to a large box garden. I like the more uniform look of the box garden than all the different containers on my sundeck. I want to make the box myself but can't find instructions. Cany anyone help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumbgardener

I don't know what your sundeck looks like, or how much strength you have. Just remember, individual containers are fairly easy to move around when needed. Once you construct a large box, unless you put it on wheels, it will be impossible to move. Also, aren't you afraid of rotting your deck, with a large box in contact with it?

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 2:23PM
aromaticwings(7b TX)

My worry with several boxes is the weight on the balcony. I have not planted much yet...because I want boxes or a wine barrel or something.. but being on a second floor and the balcony feels or sounds funny when I walk on it with just my hevy weight I worry it could hold anything heavy.. any suggestions... The balcony floor is cement.. but the apartment has shifted and foundation seems cracked..slightly..

Bookmark   May 29, 2006 at 12:48AM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

If your balcony is bouncing or creaking slightly when you walk on it, then I wouldn't put things that are too heavy out there. You could use those large containers but fill them halfway with some type of fill material - foam peanuts, empty soda cans or bottles, etc., then top off with soil.

Bookmark   May 29, 2006 at 8:23AM
frogluvrrr

I guess I didn't give it too much thought, greenthumb, seeing that I live on the second floor, moving it would be impossible. Not to mention, didn't give any thought at all to the possibility of rot. Guess I'll stick with the containers up there, still would like to build a box, maybe for the front yard...

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 1:43AM
More Discussions
First time gardner, trouble with cold snap.
It's my first time trying to garden, and I'm putting...
wisteriasong
Plants for East Facing Balcony?
Can anyone help with plant suggestions for a due east...
lavender108
Daffodils
Hi there! I'm a complete beginner at this so bear with...
RuthScales
Need help for my 500 sq ft sunny rooftop
Hi.....we have a rooftop space that is western facing...
Rena Durn
Balcony vegetable garden in California
I live in Central California and I have been planting...
safwatzaki
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™