I need a birdbath. Couldn't find one I like. So I made one using a log.
I hope the birds will like it.
That is really cool! I imagine it's going to look spectacular in your garden.
Oh my...I have to say...that is one of the neatest things I've seen!! I absolutely LOVE it!!
How'd you do dat?
Spectacular!! Just like in the forest.
Be Safe, Rach
Oh my, that is simply wonderful. I love it. What a fantastic idea. Now please tell us, did you carve it out with a saw, hand tools? This must have taken a very long time to do. I want one.
Here's the link:
Here is a link that might be useful: LOG BIRDBATH
Thanks for the kind comments.
Here is how I made it:
1. Let the log dry out. This will prevent future cracking and the log will be much lighter to work with.
2. Split the log in half. Its not very difficult if the log is dry.
3. I used an angle grinder with a 4" carbide saw blade to cut out all the wood that do not look like part of the birdbath (1 1/2 hours)
4. I glue the two parts back together.
5. I made a stand.
6. I preseved a branch that looks like bonsai, found some rocks.
7. I waterproofed the whole thing.
Have fun guys.
That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
WOW! Well, after I got my breath back, I couldn't stop staring at your birdbath!! I'm into the cabin/lodgey thing and anything rustic will catch my attention. That is without a doubt one of the most beautiful birdbaths I have seen. You are truly a crafter after my heart! Wonderful and unique idea!! I am SO impressed!!!! Can't wait to see whatcha do next!blessings-sherri
You have done some nice work your self.
Truly awesom 'dcarch'! May I ask what you preserved it with--that is surely safe for bird-life? I'd love to make something like that!!!!
I forgot to say that I also used a blowtorch to char the wood both to make it look darker and to preserve the wood.
Then I used clear exterior varnish to coat the whole thing.
I change the water everyday, so there is very little toxin, if any, that can leak into the water.
This is the most beautiful bird bath I've ever seen! Awesome job dcarch.
It's either going to be a birdbath, or firewood.
That is great. I love the rustic look. Let me know how the bird take to it...