How do you make concrete molds for bricks?

jamie2005(zone 5, Chicago)June 5, 2005

I am looking to make molds to make retaining wall bricks. I am looking to make my own to use my creativity to make my yard unique. Can anyone help me???

Thanks,

Jamie :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GardenChicken(AB3b)

Jamie, check the Hypertufa forum and do a search there for blocks or retaining wall... you'll find lots interesting & useful information there.

~GC

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 8:17AM
paws4pets

try sand casting. Easy to do. Take a box line it with plastic put in wet sand. Make your indentation the size you want for your brick and pour in your mixture, level it off and wait 24 hours. if you want uniform molds check eBay for some inexpensive reusable molds. If you want to email me privately I do concrete stones, etc. so I can give you some venders to check out.
Paws

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 3:30PM
Jermes(z& Tx)

I was cruising thru ebay earlier looking for face molds and noticed molds for retaining wall bricks. Look under concrete molds. The folks in the hypertufa forum do some unbelievable things so be sure and check it out.

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 11:12PM
tufaenough

Jamie
It's very easy to make even complicated interlocking brick molds using sheets of blue styrofoam.
These can be cut shaped glued to make a mold for even a complex interlocking brick.
If it requires a multiple piece mold get a few yards of surgical tubing to tie it together. Holds very tight. Much better than tape of any kind because it applies tension to keep the mold tightly together.
The real beauty of styrofoam is concrete doesn't stick to it so you can use it over and over again.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 3:58PM
DebZone8(S.Puget Sound)

Oh contraire, mon frair--concrete most assuredly does stick to styrofoam. You will either need to use a mold release (motor oil, vegetable oil) or loosen your styrofoam mold from the concrete while its still at a gelatinous stage.

Jamie, my advice to you (as someone who has actually made these, unlike Tufaenough) is make your molds as simple and as sturdy as possible. You're going to be using them over and over and wanting to unmold quickly so that you can fill them again. I used 2 X 4's put together with long woodscrews and they even started coming loose after 100 or so uses. Next time I'll use 2 X 6's for bigger blocks.

Deb

Bookmark   June 19, 2005 at 2:18PM
tufaenough

I use blue styrofoam molds everyday.
Concrete does not require a release agent.
Although it is easier to keep your molds clean if you do.
You can't make an interlocking block with a 2x4 mold as anyone who has made them would know.

Deb is make simple bricks. Perfectly useless for a retaining wall.

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 1:04AM
tufaenough

You can also imprint a brick pattern into blue styrofoam to give you a brick that actually looks like something other than a block of mud.
If you email me I will tell you how this is done with any brick or rock.
It's my own technique and extremely easy to do.
No skills required.

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 1:12AM
Loren_La

Jamie,
You can take any brick and soak it with acetone. When it's still wet, but not dripping, place the brick on your foam and it will melt away the foam.
Loren

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 1:10AM
DebZone8(S.Puget Sound)

David, I think you're talking about styrene boards. I've been using the styrofoam boards with the little beads that are very good at embedding themselves in cement mixtures. I cut little wedges from styrofoam to insert in the block forms to make blocks that will go around a curve.

You're being preposterous but I refuse to be insulted. I never said my blocks were anything but simple blocks. They have a poured footing and are mortared together with gravel behind them. I didn't say they were strong; matter of fact, I didn't make any claims except that I had made a lot of them.

Like I said, I'm sorry for hurting your feelings. My concern was genuine, even if you feel it was misplaced. Peace?

Deb

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 8:27PM
kit10n

i saw this post:

Imprinted patterns in your bricks. RE: How do you make concrete

can you tell me how you did this, thanks

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Baja chairs
Thought I'd posted a followup - it's disappeared. I...
rosiew
Looking for help identifying maker of this fountain
Hi I have a gorgeous cherub fountain in my yard that...
Priti_NewToGardening
Garden Markers
What is a good source for garden markers? I need at...
lemonthyme5
Sidewalk trash to new outdoor sink!
I've been day dreaming about a outdoor sink for couple...
aptruncata
Moon Gates
Hello all! I'm trying to figure out how to make a moon...
CEFreeman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™