Do sweet peas need to be planted every year?

mams(9)February 1, 2010

Hi All,

In zone 8 where I live, will the sweet pea plant be able to survive as a perennial? We get light frosts in winter. Even if it does survive, will it bloom the following year?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

The only way your sweet peas can survive more than one season is for the fallen seed to germinate for the next season. Al

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 9:27AM
tugbrethil

A lot depends on how hot your summers are. If you have very cool summers--say, right on the beach in the Pacific Northwest, or high elevations in Hawaii--Sweet Peas might become perennial. Most other areas of zone 8, they are almost certain to die in summer. There is a perennial species of Sweet Pea, Lathyrus latifolius, but it's really not the same.

Kevin : )

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 9:47PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Our much loved sweet peas can never 'become' perennial. As they stop flowering and begin to make seed, they'll also begin to die off. In cool climates, if they are regularly deadheaded (kept juvenile, rather than allowed to mature), they can continue to flower until the days begin to really shorten.

Even if one were to go to all extremes to keep one of these plants alive, it would still not be a perennial, but an annual coaxed into a long term juvenile growth stage. And it wouldn't be very happy, I'll bet, lol!

I haven't grown Sweet Peas in ages, having gotten out of the habit when I lived for many years in coastal 8 SC. I can still remember that wonderful fragrance, though.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 11:45AM
davemichigan(zone 6a (SE Michigan))

Mams, it depends on which "sweet peas" you are talking about. If you mean the fragrant sweet peas (lathyrus odoratus), they are annuals no matter where you plant them.

The perennial sweet peas (lathyrus latifolius, also known as everlasting peas) are perennials and are hardy down to zone 4, so yes, it will come back next year in your zone. Perennial sweet peas are not fragrant, however.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 4:28PM
mams(9)

Thanks a lot!! This information has been most useful!

The fragrance is why I want it to become a perennial :) But I guess its worth it to go through the trouble of planting it from seed every year just for that very same reason!

Bookmark   February 8, 2010 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
Hyacinth bean vine (Lablab)
Anyone grown this one? I grew hyacinth bean a long...
mxk3
Flattened zinnia cotyledons (pic)
Here is a pic of two Zinnia elegans seedlings I'm currently...
jai_ganesha
Fence decorating w/ annuals & other things?
I was going to post this on vertical gardening but...
ked1985
"Bounce" and "Big Bounce" Impatiens are highly resistant to DM?
With the move to houzz I haven't been following very...
rouge21_gw
Ipomoea nil I have grown this winter
I wanted to share some photos of Japanese morning glories...
gerris2
Sponsored Products
Boyce 3-Light Brushed Steel LED Track Fixture
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Artistic Weavers Rugs Meredith Ivory 2 ft. 6 in. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S5093/1 Control Valve - S5093/1BR
$163.88 | Hayneedle
Delta Shower Enclosures 60 in. Sliding Tub Door Glass Panel in Mila
Home Depot
Contessa Brown Pump Dispenser
$250.00 | FRONTGATE
Illumine Pendant Lights Designer Collection 4-Light Ceiling Steel Halogen
Home Depot
Nourison Nepal NEP12 Area Rug - Beige / Slate - 15245
$369.00 | Hayneedle
Stanley Coastal Living Resort Haven's Harbor Night Stand Dolphin 062-B3-80 Multi
$755.98 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™