would like to paint new concrete bird bath

katnip_ct(z6 CT)July 5, 2004

After going through a number of tag sale, flea market and cheap store bird baths, I finally invested in a solid concrete one.The plain concrete however, looks pretty drab.

I would like to paint and or stencil something on it, but what type of paint should be used. Can you get away with latex? Should you leave the inside untouched to avoid poisoning the birds?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bloominweeds(z7ga)

Patio paints

Bookmark   July 5, 2004 at 9:39AM
klinger(8)

I agree with bloominweeds, use patio paints, and then seal. You can also use concrete stains also depending on the look you want. Cindy

Bookmark   July 5, 2004 at 9:56AM
RocksnRust(z5 UT)

Type in smith paints, go to their web site they have paint, dye and stain all are weather resistant and uv stable.
Rene...............

Bookmark   July 11, 2004 at 3:50PM
neetsiepie

My DH makes concrete birdbaths for a living, and I often paint them with great success using ANY kind of paint. Spray paint is usually the most cost effective, and provides a good base coat. I use acrylic paints that can be found in craft stores for accents or highlighting. I also use clear spray paint to seal the paint.

Hint...make sure the birdbath is very dry before painting. First wash it down, then let it dry. If it's raw concrete, there will be lime leaching and some manufacturers already paint the piece with a mixture of paint and cement to cover any pin holes or patch marks.

You don't need to primer the piece...concrete is the easiest medium to paint on. Let the paint dry very well between coats, then apply at least 4 coats of clear spray paint as the sealer, particularly in the bowl.

Most spray paints today are non-toxic. They're not going to leach anything bad. Frankly, in my opinion, I've seen birds bathing in puddles on the street that have a shimmer of motor oil in them. I've never seen any adverse reactions to the spray paint I use.

Most commercial manufacturers use these same types of materials to paint their pieces. Patio paint is expensive and you will need a lot. Krylon or other premium spray paints are recommended. Don't use ANYTHING that is petroleum or oil based! (Like Thompsons Water Seal).

Bookmark   July 13, 2004 at 3:54PM
timeggers(z5/ IL)

I'm using swimming pool paint on my concrete bird bath! I know that will hold up to being underwater!

Bookmark   July 30, 2004 at 10:21PM
aldjr_verizon_net

i want to paint the inside of my concrete birdbath an aqua color need some recommendations

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Garden Markers
What is a good source for garden markers? I need at...
lemonthyme5
Looking for some Adirondack Rockers - Help?
We've fallen in love with the Adirondack Rockers &...
pbx2_gw
Dissapearing Fountain
Hi, I�m new to the Forum and have questions...
wcoast_artist
What are these?
Just moved in to a new house. These are hanging in...
eptronic
Sidewalk trash to new outdoor sink!
I've been day dreaming about a outdoor sink for couple...
aptruncata
Sponsored Products
Kympton Polished Nickel Two-Light Wall Mounted Bath Fixture
$246.40 | Bellacor
Antica Farmacista Ala Moana Bath & Body Gift Set
$99.00 | FRONTGATE
Fontaine Montbeliard Oil Rubbed Bronze Widespread Bathroom Faucet
Overstock.com
Queen 200TC Sheet Set - WHITE/BLACK
$410.00 | Horchow
Zanz 3-Light Bath Bar by LBL Lighting
$680.00 | Lumens