My potted aquilegeria columbine is dying!!

kimdkJune 8, 2008

hello all, I'm new to the board and need assistance. A few months ago, I bought a potted Aquilegeria. A few weeks later, I noticed the stalks were dying. So I cut back the plant thinking it would help the plant, but now whenever the stalks grow at least a twelve inches tall, they suddenly die. I try to water it everyday, keep it out of the Sun and give it plant food, but no good. the stalks die off after growing a bit. I have notice small plants trying to pop up. Am I watering it too much? Too little? Should I repot it? any ideas?? Thanks to all. :)

kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PVick(6b NYC)

Hard to say, but it sounds to me that you may have a combination of over-watering and soil that doesn't drain freely. What kind of soil do you have it planted in??

You don't say what state/zone you're in; in my zone, I keep my columbines in a spot where they get good morning sun and afternoon shade; they get watered maybe twice a week. They're going on their third year and do quite well.

I would slip the plant out of the pot and inspect the roots - for insects and/or root rot. Be careful when removing the plant from the pot - you don't want to damage the tap root. If you don't see any obvious damage, do try repotting it, using a good, free-draining potting mix, NOT potting soil. Water it in well and see what happens. If it survives, try and cut back on the watering - every day seems to be too much.

Good luck.

PV

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
Daffodils
Hi there! I'm a complete beginner at this so bear with...
RuthScales
Wilting plant
Can you tell me what is wrong with this plant please....
hilste
time to get your starts planted
Just check to see what other are doing as far as getting...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
rigging window boxes to railing
Hi, I am looking for a cheap and simple way to hang...
weebay
What's wrong with my lavender munstead?
Hi there, I bought a baby lavender munstead from Bunnings...
LJG2908
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Navy 4 ft. x 4 ft.
Home Depot
Spring Bloom Tray
| Dot & Bo
Antique Brass Whitehaus WHKPFCR3-9550 Wall Mount Cross Retractable Kitchen
$559.00 | Blue Bath
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Rust / Green 4 ft. x 6
Home Depot
Silk 38-inch Potted Areca Palm Plant
Overstock.com
GlideRite Oil Rubbed Bronze Robe and Coat Hooks (Case of 25)
Overstock.com
Campania International Rustic Rolled Rim Cast Stone Planter - 14.75 in. - P-549-
$104.99 | Hayneedle
Turquoise Vintage Pot & Saucer Set
$34.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™