Wild Cherry in container

alexander_permison(DC Zone 7)June 28, 2005

Hi! I've got a small wild cherry in a container on my balcony, southern exposure, full sun. It's a couple of years old and a few feet tall. This year, the leaves are curling and turning orange. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Prunus insists on good drainage. It's very possible that your soil is breaking down and holding too much water. Make sure the lower part of the pot is quite (but not completely) dry between waterings. If you find the soil remains wet for more than a couple of days, repot in spring before budswell. Could also be a nutrient deficiency. Are you by any chance using a fertilizer with a high second number? Check carefully for insects. Many of the sucking insects can cause leaves to curl & yellow. I'm thinking particularly of red spider mites here.

Al

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 7:01PM
alexander_permison(DC Zone 7)

Thanks Al. I stopped watering it for awhile and started spraying it with neem oil. It's now got a lot of new green leaves. This suggests to me overwatering and/or insects were a problem.

I have yet to fertilize it, though. What do you recommend?

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 11:19PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If you want to keep the tree compact, fertilize with a balanced blend when branch extension stops after initial spring flush of new foliage. This will be when leaves are mature & new leaves have stopped appearing at branch apices (growing tips). Another application of the same product or 0-10-10 around mid Aug. should be all you need. Prunus does very well in a spare soil. If you want to maximize growth (not necessarily the healthiest thing for the tree), follow fertilizer manufacturer's recommended dosage & dosage intervals.

Al

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Brown spots on leaves
Hello everyone, thanks for reading my post. I inherited...
alpinejames
What is the name of that plant?
Can I know what is the name of the plant of whose picture...
saisanjeev
Container watermelon
This is the third year we have been growing watermelons...
Misty2629
How do I know if my gardenia is dead?
Hi there, I received a gardenia augusta Florida as...
LJG2908
Plant wilting
I bought this plant about 3 weeks ago and have recently...
hilste
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™