Problem with crocus

elberethJune 17, 2008

I was forcing the crocus 'Pickwick' for this spring outside on the balcony. They were planted 2 to 3 inches deep, above my tulip bulbs in big pots. Only one bulb flowered this spring, and the rest just sent up leaves that died very soon. When I inspected them I found that none of them had a lot of roots, but I don't think it was because they weren't chilled long enough - the tulips had plenty of roots. The soil may have been too heavy for them. I discarded the rotten bulbs and cleaned the rest. What should I do with them now? Should I replant them or store them for the winter? And what should I do with the little bulblets that grew around the bigger bulbs? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

The bulbs may have been babies when first planted and not ready to bloom. I would replant and let them try again next year. They should continue to form roots for the rest of the season. Next season, whether they bloom or not, they will hopefully still produce foliage which should be allowed to die down naturally, as that will help increase the bulb size for the next season. You can leave the little bulblets as that is how they naturalize to give you new adult bulbs in a few years.

In general, you should try to have them in friable, loose, and free-draining soil (not heavy) to help ensure that the bulbs won't rot. Seems the tiny bulbs tend to rot more easily.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 11:41AM
elbereth

Thanks for your help!

Elbereth

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 9:39AM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Good luck! I like to try to plant early bloomers like crocuses so that I can have something out there to remind me that spring is on the way! I am considering getting some snow drops to plant for next year.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Cala Lillies
Hi! I received a gift of some beautiful Calla Lillies...
RuthScales
what to do for the winter
Hello, I have the following plants on my balcony and...
fzyflwrchld
Identify and suggestions
There is a 4 x 6ft area outside the main window of...
vr46
Container watermelon
This is the third year we have been growing watermelons...
Misty2629
Pepper plant maintenance - mulch, beneficial nematodes, or ???
Hi all! Trying out growing peppers in some containers...
C_Gump
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™