Heat hurting hibiscus

sweetpea_on(Toronto)June 27, 2005

We're having a heat problem in Toronto - 30+ every day. I have a hibiscus in a 12 inch pot (this is how I bought it) which is covered with blooms. However, a number of the leaves are turning yellow - I think because it is drying out so quickly with the heat. I am on the 4th floor with a terrace that is in full sun for at least 8 hours a day. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping this plant happy - can I mulch it with something?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

Water it as often as you can while the heat wave continues - twice a day may be needed. Mulch would be good - whatever mulch you have handy, pine bark is good. If you can rig up some shade during the hottest part of the day, it will be grateful.

Hibiscus normally produce yellow leaves whenever there is a change in conditions or they are stressed. Pick off the yellow ones and it will have nice new leaves within a few weeks (assuming it doesn't dry out and die in the meantime!)

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 9:24PM
whytephoenix(z9a Houston)

Quite frankly I'd be shocked that the heat would be hurting your hibiscus. If I'm translating your temperature to F. right, your 'heat problem' at 30 is a cold front for us, where we grow hibiscus that become small trees.

Water, however, is a real problem; they're thirsty plants. Could you maybe just stick the whole pot into a bucket of water? We grow these guys in our wet gumbo soil and I have yet to see a hibiscus die of overwatering.

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 10:37PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Though the top of the plant doesn't mind extreme high temps, the roots are far less tolerant of extreme heat. 30* C. = 86* F., still well within the desirable range for hibiscus, but add in the solar gain factor from a dark colored pot or a pot that sits on a heat absorbing material, & you may have roots that are unable to metabolize &/or move water. It would be helpful to shade the container or find another method of reducing root temps if the plant is in full sun.

Al

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
Pepper plant maintenance - mulch, beneficial nematodes, or ???
Hi all! Trying out growing peppers in some containers...
C_Gump
How can I make unique?
How can I make my balcony gardening unique?Please give...
Sanjok Dangol
Brown spots on leaves
Hello everyone, thanks for reading my post. I inherited...
alpinejames
Need help for my balcony kitchen garden
Hi from Ahmedabad. I have two big balcony of about...
saisula
What's wrong with my lavender munstead?
Hi there, I bought a baby lavender munstead from Bunnings...
LJG2908
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™