Osteosperum/African Daisy Questions please.

gardeningwithlcgrace(7 Delaware)February 11, 2009

I love the colors that I see in the garden centers....white with blue eye and lavender colors with blue.

I've seen packets of seed for these but only in the white/orange coloring.

Is there a different variety I should be looking for? Will I need to buy the plant? Will the seed come "true" for color? Can I dig it up and care for it inside during the winter....or take a cutting and try to keep it inside?

I will admit, I haven't done a search for seed of my favorite colors from seed catalogs. I did get an email selling the plants though. The prices??? geeze! I know I can get the plants at Lowes or Home Depot in the spring. I was hoping to take the cheaper route.

Has anyone started them from seed? Or tried winter sowing them? Thanks for your thoughts! LC Grace

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goblugal(7)

LC - look for varieties "Asti" or "Passion" - those are the types you want in the color range you want. The seeds won't be cheap!

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 12:51PM
mmsc

I grew the Asti Osteospermum from seed and really liked them. There are 3 colors available: white, lavender and purple.

I bought the seeds on ebay, $4.50 for 50 seeds which is great, because I almost payed the same price for 10 seeds.

Here's the link to lavender, purple and white.

They are perennials, so I guess you can bring them inside for the winter. Here where I live we don't have frosts and they just stop flowering after the end of summer and start blooming on late spring.

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 11:46AM
mmqchdygg(Z5NH)

I bought these a few years ago, and really liked them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Value Seeds - 80 seeds for a buck

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 12:07PM
EdwinR

I have African Daisy plants which i grew from seed but I sowed them in mid June. They are outside but have no sign of buds. It is between 1 and 7 C and gets light at 8 a.m. and dark at 5.30 p.m. Is it too late for them to flower? Should I have them in a window facing south indoors instead where it is between 20 and 23 C? Perhaps they would do better in my glazed balcony where I try to keep the temperature at least 10 C? Are they annuals or can they be kept for next year? I would very much like to see them flower and to be able to collect seeds from them for next year. Is there anything I can do to bring them to flower? Thank you for any help.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 3:30PM
EdwinR

I have African Daisy plants which i grew from seed but I sowed them in mid June. They are outside but have no sign of buds. It is between 1 and 7 C and gets light at 8 a.m. and dark at 5.30 p.m. Is it too late for them to flower? Should I have them in a window facing south indoors instead where it is between 20 and 23 C? Perhaps they would do better in my glazed balcony where I try to keep the temperature at least 10 C? Are they annuals or can they be kept for next year? I would very much like to see them flower and to be able to collect seeds from them for next year. Is there anything I can do to bring them to flower? Thank you for any help.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
Best Garden worthy Sunflower?
I haven't found a Sunflower seed to purchase for this...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Black Dragon Coleus care
Hello! I'm a bit new to this plant growing/care thing...
Silverling
It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 31
Hello everyone, Welcome to this ongoing message thread....
zen_man
Hyacinth bean vine (Lablab)
Anyone grown this one? I grew hyacinth bean a long...
mxk3
Sweet peas (long and waffling)
Every year, I have the same dilemma - should I be a...
Campanula UK Z8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™