Looking for chartreuse vine

valzone5(5)February 11, 2006

I want to put some chartreuse vines in with my potted annuals this year and thought I remembered reading/hearing that sweet potato vine is this color - does that sound right? If so, can I start one with a regular old grocery store sweet potato? If so again, when do I start one to aim for a potting time of end of May?

Thanks,

Val

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

Yes, there is a chartreuse sweet potato vine, "Marguerite". It really is chartreuse, no kidding!

BTW - sweet potato vine does best in full sun, it doesn't get as lush in part-shade.

Bookmark   February 12, 2006 at 11:24AM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

Also, in regard to starting one from a grocery store potato, sure you could, but it probably won't be the color leaves you're looking for. If you don't have your heart set on chartreuse leaves, this would be a great inexpensive alternative. "Marguerite" is readily available when the annuals are put out, sweet potato vines have become quite popular. You can save the tubers that are formed and use them next year, too.

Bookmark   February 12, 2006 at 11:28AM
valzone5(5)

Thanks! I will start some from some sweet potatoes anyway for the fun/experiment of it. I will then get some in the chartreuse from the nursery. Re saving the tubers...how do I store them? I am in zone 5 - good and cold for about 6 months. Can I store them like I store my bulbs?

Bookmark   February 12, 2006 at 3:04PM
merrygardens(z5 MI)

I stored my chartreuse potato vine tuber at room temperature last winter, and it was just great when I replanted it in the spring. Also, you can take tip cuttings all season that will root in water within days, and those can be potted up as well. Once you've bought one plant, you'll be set for life! Bought one--what am I saying? I got several slips off commercial plantings that were all over the sidewalk a few years ago. They are amazingly prolific, and set off pretty much any other color beautifully. Love the purple ones, too, but they aren't as generous. I have a couple of pots of them overwintering in a sunny room--don't know how they'll do.

Bookmark   February 15, 2006 at 10:59AM
singleton165(z5 NH Seacoast)

Last year I got a two hanging pots of sweet potato from Wallyworld (Marguerite and Blackie) Each pot had 5 plants in it as was probably $10 each. I took them apart and planted in the garden. I love how they just sprawl all over the place! Now if only I could remember to dig them up in the fall!

Bookmark   February 15, 2006 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
How to prolong flowering in Nigella or love in the mist flowers
Hi I am growing Nigella flowers for my son's wedding...
winddancers
Annual vine choice
If you had to choose between hyacinth bean (Lablab)...
mxk3
Sweet peas (long and waffling)
Every year, I have the same dilemma - should I be a...
Campanula UK Z8
Annuals reseeding in pots?
Hi there. I have kind of an odd question, couldn't...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Introducing myself and Sunflower adventures
Hi, everyone. I used to read a lot and post occasionally...
luvsflwrs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™