smallest balcony ever

codyten(5 UT)June 25, 2005

My building manager calls my balcony a "Juliet balcony." It's about two feet wide and six feet long, just large enough to stand on. I'm on the 5th floor facing south so there's lots of sun, and I would like to have a container plant that can stay outdoors during the winter. Since the balcony is so narrow I can't have a large container, so does anybody have a suggestion for something that is small but hardy enough to leave outdoors over winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DrHorticulture_(Z3 Central Saskatchewan)

As a thumb rule for a container, you'll have to get something that's hardy to Z4 or preferably, Z3 for your balcony.

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 8:48AM
alison(6b/OH)

Could you plant a little tree? Something evergreen, perhaps, that would be cool and green in the summer, that you could decorate with bird treats and lights in the winter!

While your balcony is pretty small, I don't know if it's the smallest ever. I've seen some that are simply a decorative railing nailed to the wall around a window!

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 2:52PM
codyten(5 UT)

Well, I went shopping yesterday and found the perfect solution. It's a Jean's Dilly Dwarf Alberta Spruce, a super cute little tree that works well in containers and is able to winter outside. There's even enough room in the pot to plant some small annuals during the summer!

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 7:10PM
alison(6b/OH)

Great minds think alike. I hope it does well for you!

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 12:45PM
posiegirl(5b)

That's just what I would have suggested. I know these Juliet balconies. They're a holdover from France, and you see them all over New Orleans. Good luck!

Judith

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 12:58AM
codyten(5 UT)

The tree looks great and I planted some petunias in the pot for some fun color as well. Yesterday I noticed some tiny bugs flying around. I don't know what they are, but I don't want the tree to have any pests. I have heard that marigolds are good things to deter pests. Any other suggestions to keep bugs away?

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Daffodils
Hi there! I'm a complete beginner at this so bear with...
RuthScales
What's wrong with my lavender munstead?
Hi there, I bought a baby lavender munstead from Bunnings...
LJG2908
What is the name of that plant?
Can I know what is the name of the plant of whose picture...
saisanjeev
Brown spots on leaves
Hello everyone, thanks for reading my post. I inherited...
alpinejames
Plant wilting
I bought this plant about 3 weeks ago and have recently...
hilste
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™