potted jasmine

Flwr_Zab_z5aJune 29, 2005

I bought a beautiful jasmine (officale?) from Walmart a few weeks ago that had buds on it and a couple of flowers have bloomed. However, several buds have dried out. I've been good about watering this plant, but does it need a ton of water?? My porch is SW facing, so it is getting a fair bit of sun. Also, are the blooms supposed to last for multiple days? Because they haven't... I'm new to both jasmines and container gardening. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eadreel(z7 Germany)

Jasmine doesn't need tons of water. Did you harden off the plant when you brought it home? They love heat and full all day sun. They like mildly acidic soil and you do need to feed it. They grow really fast so prune it. If it has been windy or raining the blooms will fall off. Also it's bloom time is July to September. So right now it is ahead of schedule for blooming. Just prune it and let it dry out a bit. You may have been overwatering. I have noticed with mine the buds tend to be on new viney growth at the tips. I have two bushy ones and one viney one. Technically it is a twining vine and it does love to climb up or out. If you can, move it to a place that gets HOT sun all day. Mine didn't do well until it was above 60 at night and in the 80's during the day and the sun was up from 530am to 930pm. The drying buds and flowers falling off might be transplant shock so just trim everything back, all blooms and buds so the roots have time to adjust. Jasmine can be fairly hardy if you watch the leaves. They should be a little shiny and green when you get the right water amount. When it gets too dry the leaves look tired and wilted and dull. I water mine on the same schedule as my lavenders and sages (once a week) and all my other plants get water twice a week.

Also it may not be a plant that is suited for your climate. I would see how it does this year for you. I don't have a Walmart or any box stores like it where I live, so I go to the local nursries. With the language barrier I have sort of assumed that if the local nursries carry the plant in the outdoor section, then it will grow here, and I haven't gone wrong yet for the past two summers.

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 2:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

You have to gradually ease these plants to a different environment - whether to full sun or even to shadey conditions (yes, they can grow and bloom perfectly fine in bright shade as they are an understory vine), or you may get that type of abort of blooms like you are seeing.

It could be that yours wasn't quite adapted yet going from the store having grown under store lighting conditions, to full blazing sun, but it should settle down. They bloom on new growth so it should eventually go into a growth and bloom cycle.

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
Daffodils
Hi there! I'm a complete beginner at this so bear with...
RuthScales
Need help for my 500 sq ft sunny rooftop
Hi.....we have a rooftop space that is western facing...
Rena Durn
What's wrong with my lavender munstead?
Hi there, I bought a baby lavender munstead from Bunnings...
LJG2908
Planting my starts 2015
It is time to plant my seeds in cups so I have well...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
time to get your starts planted
Just check to see what other are doing as far as getting...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Red / Navy 2 ft. 3 in. x 10 ft. Runner
Home Depot
Campania International Cumberland Square Planter - Set of 4 - Lead Lite Multicol
Hayneedle
Chartreuse Berkley Pot
$7.99 | zulily
Safavieh Area Rug: Anatolia Light Green/Red 4' x 6'
Home Depot
Safavieh Handmade Farahan Grey/ Ivory Wool Rug (9'6 x 13'6)
Overstock.com
Safavieh Hand-made Oushak Beige/ Green Hand-spun Wool Rug (3' x 5')
Overstock.com
Singing Oil and Vinegar Vessels
| Dot & Bo
Anatolia Red and Sage Rectangle: 5 Ft. In. x 8 Ft. In. Area Rug
$270.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™