Help - Cleaning Algae in Small Ponds

oldjgwAugust 16, 2008

Probably been asked but I've got sheet algae in my small pond, 8 ft by 8 ft by 1 1/2 deep. Rubber liner with river rocks on the bottom. Only have a few mosquito fish and aquatic plants in pots. It is partially under a plum tree and gets leaf and fruit drop. The pond gets 3 to 4 hours direct sun in summer. There is a recurculating pumb that runs a little dip line.

Suggestions on getting rid of the algae please

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keesha2006(5)

I am not sure what sheet algae is, is it the same as string algae? I have had string algae several times over the years. I took apart my entire pond and scrubbed every flat surface. Then reassembled and kept debrie from falling into it as light as possible with daily cleanings with a net. Only takes a minutes when I feed my fish and helps a great deal. My pond is under a wheeping cherry and gets much leaves and blooming petal fall. Last fall I covered it with a net as soon as leaves began to fall, and kept it covered with the net all winter as I get a great deal of winter fall/blow into it. The net reduced it by ten fold...I will never enter another fall/winter without netting it again. Is a net an option? Once you rid the pond of the algae, use barley straw, it comes in either sheets you can slide under plants or rocks or in pellet form. I liked the pellet form best. If it is string algae, hand removel is about the only way I know of to remove it or so I have been told. And it will continue to regrow as fast as you remove it if you do not find and fix the source. I use the barley and a NET during times of falling leaves and I have not had string algae in about five years now...knock on wood..there is not much worse as a pond owner...good luck!

Bookmark   August 17, 2008 at 8:01AM
oldjgw

The Algae are in big sheets. Bright green and sort of like a wet tissue paper but with more body. (A very scientific description I know) I've netted it out and they come out in maybe 12 inch by 12 inch pieces.
I always thought barley straw was for mosquitos.

Bookmark   August 18, 2008 at 11:47PM
annazone6

I have a small pond, probably 3 x 6 but it's deeper than yours, about 3 feet. I had a algae about 3 yrs ago, the people on the pond forumn suggested using hydrogen proxide, I did and the problem cleared up and I continue to use it and the algae never came back. I clean the pond in the spring put in an 8oz bottle of hydrogen proxide, if the water starts to get cloudy i drain part of the pond and pour in about a half a bottle and refill the pond.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Source for gardener's peg or dimple
My father whittled from cedar wood an awl looking implement...
Marlene Bohanan
covering a container
I have a shipping container I use as a shed. Is there...
isaiah6624
Need Help Finding Terra-Cotta Hummingbird Clock
I am looking for this clock to match my thermometer....
dubmann
Tiki Torches
Hello Everyone, I'm not 100% sure if I'm putting this...
hardee38
I'm almost finished with my pergola (2photo's)
(This is my first attempt at posting a photo so hope...
Warren8
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Pond Parts & Care Products Low Voltage 50-watt Black
$58.32 | Home Depot
Paradiso Caning Bath Rug
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Mini Frog Fountain
$29.99 | zulily
Jeco Cherub Water Indoor / Outdoor Fountain with LED Light - FCL078
$239.99 | Hayneedle
Kenroy Waterwall Floor Fountain
Beyond Stores
Alpine Buddha Tabletop Outdoor Fountain with LED light - WIN322
$52.30 | Hayneedle
River City Clocks MD868-13 Boy and Girl on Seesaw Musical Cottage Cuckoo Clock M
Hayneedle
Moonrays Path & Landscape Lights 3-Light Outdoor Polyresin Solar Powered LED
$17.45 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™