Petunias - strange wilting of single stems

gbell12(NSW Aust)March 28, 2006

Hi GW,

This happens to me every time with petunias. Can anybody tell me why entire stems of my petunias wilt? Adjacent stems are fine.

Here's a picture of a

And right next to it, this

Anybody have any idea what causes this?

Thanks,

~gb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeje

Hi gbell12,

Could the wilt-y stem possibly have been bruised/pinched a bit in handling? Or nipped by something? Or are the stems intact?

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 8:18AM
gbell12(NSW Aust)

hmmm... could be but i've been conscious of that possibility so i've looked for it...

i have wondered if the stems crimp as they cascade over the edge of the pot... should they be that fragile?

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 3:38PM
flowergirl1211(8)

Hi I've had the same problem. I just cut them back and give them a good watering and fertlize a little. They come back really nice.
Linda

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 12:41PM
stephju(8 wa--coast)

Hi gbell12,
Your "wilted" pic. looked just like half of my petunias last year. Most of our neighbors had the same problem. The nursery person said it was probably a type of fungal disease. I am trying again this year. Will use one of the "3-in-one" products (fertilizer, insecticide, and fungacide). Everything is an experiment, isn't it?!

Bookmark   May 12, 2006 at 1:03AM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

I disagree with the disease idea....that plant simply lacks water....either because the stem is broken off, or because the roots are broken or it is not set properly into the soil...
And Steph, for a newly transplanted plant, putting one of those 3 in one products on it will further stress a plant already stressed by transplanting....did you fertilize your plants as you were transplanting them? That may have been your problem.
Linda C

Bookmark   May 12, 2006 at 3:01PM
leeshaven

I have also had this problem, this year and in the past. Just one stem would be wilted all all else healthy. I just pinched the wilted one off. I water with a watering can and wondered if somehow in watering the plant I have bruised that limb and the damage caused the limb to wilt. I grow what my nursey lables supertunias. They are thick and get really large. I have to almost make room for the nozzle to keep the water from rolling off the top of the plant.

Bookmark   May 13, 2006 at 10:59PM
Mac_Town_Teacher

I have done petunias many times, but I have never seen this before. I have the same issue with one petunia dying next to another that is appears healthy. There are all well watered, have plenty of sun and have been in the pots for several weeks. It is not bruising,shock, or lack of watering as some have suggested. I HAS to be some sort of disease. I am guessing it is fungal since that is the most common issue in these wet springs.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
ornamental pepper?
I bought this plant as an ornamental pepper ('Black...
terratoma
I need help with my Big Red Judy.
Hello Folks! I planted two Cloeus Big Red Judy's last...
infynite
Hyacinth bean vine (Lablab)
Anyone grown this one? I grew hyacinth bean a long...
mxk3
Winter survival of Dusty Miller.
I have seen Dusty Miler survive the winter in some...
emerogork2
Zinnia - collecting seeds
I save some seeds last year and they did not germinate....
chipeony
Sponsored Products
Tiffany Style Petunias Pendant Light with Stained Glass Shade
ParrotUncle
Tiffany Style Petunias Floor Lamp with Stained Glass Shade
ParrotUncle
Petunia Black One Light Mini Pendant
$276.00 | Bellacor
Bedside Lamp: 17.25 in. Petunia Lily Antique Verde Table Lamp TA10812
$59.99 | Home Depot
Petunia Fairy Figurine
$7.99 | zulily
Petunia Tiffany Table Lamps Lighting Fixture
ParrotUncle
Iron Rabbit Figurine Set
$34.99 | zulily
Vig Furniture - Petunia - White Leather Sectional Sofa with...
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™