Grasshopper Problem

sangeethaAugust 7, 2006

Hi all:

I am relatively new to gardening and have started off with a few plants in my balcony... recently I have this grasshopper paying a visit to my plants almost every day... the problem seems to worsen with each passing day... now most of the leaves in my plants have gaping holes in them... I am not sure how to eradicate this pest... are there any control measures that I can use to get rid of it without damaging my plants??... I would like to keep pesticides as my last option and would LOVE to hear about some "home-made" remedies...

Best Wishes,

Sangeetha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

You might try spraying the plants with Neem oil. It is a natural insecticide made from the oil of the Neem tree. Make sure you read the directions carefully and apply per the label (ie., don't spray when the sun is out, etc). Also check to see if certain plants shouldn't be sprayed.

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 7:48PM
sangeetha

Thanks a lot for the advice "Jenny in se pa"... today I read on the internet that spraying plants with strongly brewed coffee too might be of help in getting rid of a grasshopper... any idea if this might work??...

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 11:05AM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

If the thought is that the caffeine in the coffee might kill them, you could try it. You would want to make sure that you don't get too much in the soil (try to keep it just on the leaves) as brewed coffee is relatively acidic and you don't want to unecessarily affect the pH of your soil.

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Extremely leggy plants?
Hi everyone, I'm rather new to gardening (started this...
oldcrowcentralFL
Cala Lillies
Hi! I received a gift of some beautiful Calla Lillies...
RuthScales
What is the name of that plant?
Can I know what is the name of the plant of whose picture...
saisanjeev
what to do for the winter
Hello, I have the following plants on my balcony and...
fzyflwrchld
Wilting plant
Can you tell me what is wrong with this plant please....
hilste
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™