Fertilizer you can 'throw'

cave76(8)August 13, 2006

That sounds strange, I know. LOL

But I live on the ground floor with a "balcony" and railing.

Because my small balcony is too er, um small---- I've spread out to the horrible soil beyond, but which gets a rousing 10 minutes of watering a day by the management on a timer.

Regardless, I plant stuff that will take some abuse and throw pitchers of Miracle Grow out there when I have the energy.

My point: Is there some kind of pellet-y stuff that I can toss out there? (I'm not a too great at throwing. )

I know there is an 18-18-18 that might be right. But will it too any good just to toss it out? (The ground there is almost inaccessible to me)

Thanks if you have any out of the box ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

There's plenty of slow-release pellet products available to throw out there from just about all the big fertilizer companies. Just check the nearest nursery or big box store (eg., Osmocote has some and even Miracle Gro). In particular, there are formulations listed for "bedding" plants, etc., that were made to be used in the garden.

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 12:58PM
cave76(8)

So, they can just be tossed on the ground? I have Osmocote but the directions, I think, say to scratch it in. ???

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 3:09PM

Whenever I've used it in my pots, I sprinkled on top most times. Sometimes I'll scratch it in the bigger containers, but it doesn't seem to make much difference other than aesthetically. Water will slowly dissolve the coating on the pellets releasing the fertilizer into the soil. I think the scratching in helps to keep the pellets from washing away or concentrating into one area in heavy rain (or heavy watering) and will better direct the fert to the soil, but I don't know how much difference that really makes in large areas. Sometimes people mistake the spent balls for insect eggs so in that case, I can see how scratching in might help in that instance! :-o

Peter's sells fertilizer granules that do the same as the Osmocote balls, and that might be an alternative to the balls for throwing purposes!

Bookmark   August 15, 2006 at 10:25AM
cave76(8)

Thank you jenny---- I'll start practicing with my throwing arm. LOL

Bookmark   August 17, 2006 at 10:01AM

LOL! I bet you won't miss. :-p

Bookmark   August 17, 2006 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
Complete novice with large south-facing balcony
I am a complete novice gardener. I have just moved...
EastEastNewbie
Depth of catmint container
Hello, I'm a newbie on here and to gardening in general....
Ebony_King
Balcony garden in Wisconsin.
My sister has a 2nd floor apartment with balcony and...
sarcastichousewife
Container watermelon
This is the third year we have been growing watermelons...
Misty2629
rigging window boxes to railing
Hi, I am looking for a cheap and simple way to hang...
weebay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™