Rain overflow from balcony above me.

aliceinvirginiaSeptember 7, 2008

The upstairs balcony doesn't have a good way to drain water so it all ends up on the edge of my balcony. It hits my railing and then proceeds to spatter all over the place. I've thought about putting plastic sheets over the railing to deflect the water, but I'm not sure how I would prop up the sheeds, and it could get pretty expensive for an apartment dweller.

The rain overflow has flooded out my plants at times, especially the ones in self-watering containers that don't have any drain holes. I end up sitting out in the rain or after a storm trying to use a nail to make drainage holes. I ruined a pair of pants that way.

I never got around to drilling holes in the containers, because I don't want to drill when they are wet and potentially cause electrical problems.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greeness

I've been there and done that; I once lived in a place where the balcony above me had slatted flooring. You wouldn't believe the stuff that fell, ran, dripped, and spilled from the place above.You should drill the drainage holes in your pots, but in the meatime, it may be time to chat with the landlord or manager. If you own the place, I'm not sure what you can do, but it sounds like there is too much water accumulating on your patio or balcony.

Good luck

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 8:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
october17(5chgo)

How about a gutter or funnel and rain barrel? Hey! You could grow a water lily or a lotus!!!

Got any pics?

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
Planting my starts 2015
It is time to plant my seeds in cups so I have well...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Extremely leggy plants?
Hi everyone, I'm rather new to gardening (started this...
oldcrowcentralFL
splotchy leaves
I tried to Google what it might be but keywords "splotchy...
fzyflwrchld
Complete novice with large south-facing balcony
I am a complete novice gardener. I have just moved...
EastEastNewbie
Cala Lillies
Hi! I received a gift of some beautiful Calla Lillies...
RuthScales
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™