annuals as groundcover

marthacr(z5 Me)March 9, 2010

This year I want to try to use some annuals as groundcover amongst my perrenials. The wave petunias will be too large and vigorous. I am going to use alyssum but looking for suggestions for others. I would like something that I can direct sow either by broadcasting or by mixing seed into compost that I spread in the early spring. I am also considering the small white Zinnia (angustafolia?) and a low annual clover.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

Is the area sunny? What is the moisture content of the soil (moist vs. drier)?

A great full-sun annual for normal to drier conditions is Vinca catharanthus - annual Vinca. Foliage is outstanding all season, flowers are lovely and never out of bloom, don't need dead-heading or trimming back (as petunias do) - really a low-maintenance workhorse annual. They will not tolerate moister soil well, though (issues with stems rotting). There are some cultivars that get around 8-12", seems like that would fit the bill nicely. :0)

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 2:34PM
marthacr(z5 Me)

I don't believe I have ever seen catharanthus rosea growing here. I did look at it, but unless there is a variety that is shorter than 8" it will be too tall.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that most of the beds are full sun and well drained. And as far as height, about four inches of foliage. Something like Dianthus deltoides (zing rose) would work except that of course is perennial.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 3:27PM
tugbrethil

Maybe Golden Fleece (Thymophylla tenuiloba), some of the shorter kinds of Rose Moss (Portulaca grandiflora), Signet Marigold (Tagetes tenuifolia), Trailing Lobelia (Lobelia erinus), 'Prince John' or 'King Henry' Viola (Viola tricolor), or Dwarf Candytuft (Iberis umbellata)?

Kevin : )

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 8:11PM
calliope(6)

Portulaca, purslane, sanvitalia, mesembrianthemum,

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 8:15PM
zen_man

Martha,

In addition to the Portulacas (Moss Rose) that have already been suggested, I would suggest Phlox drummondii. There are several good cultivars, but I have a personal preference for Twinkle. I have never grown Tapestry Mix, but it looks good in the pictures. I have grown Phlox of Sheep (cute name) and they do have a range of soft pastels. Watercolor Memories has some nice colors, too.

ZM

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 1:38AM
sarahbarah27(5)

I love alyssum! I usually grow the 'Easter Bonnet Mix'.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 7:09AM
oilpainter(3)

Calendula and forget-me-nots---They are not ground covers but they can be planted as soon as you can work the soil outside. Both will take mild frosts and like to germinate in cool weather and soil

So does portulaca which can be a ground cover. The bonus is that all these will drop seeds and come again the next year

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 11:24AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Limnanthes douglasii? aka Poached Egg Flower. Loves sun and attracts beneficials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limnanthes douglasii

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 12:16PM
lavender_lass(4b)

I use all colors of alyssum in my vegetable beds as ground cover to keep the weeds down and attract beneficial insects :)

The low growing phlox and lobelia would be pretty too!

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 2:55PM
franeli(z4 NH)

How about some nasturtiums?
Some are mounding,some trailing...all kinds of colors,too.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Impatiens dropping buds and yellowing leaves
I posted this in the impatiens forum, but not much...
joannemb
Need trellis ideas for growing sweet peas?
Please if you would post pictures of how you grow your...
ladyrose65
It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 31
Hello everyone, Welcome to this ongoing message thread....
zen_man
Best medium for starting seeds
In a previous thread I was advised to use a seed starting...
zaphod42
ornamental pepper?
I bought this plant as an ornamental pepper ('Black...
terratoma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™