Hot weather flowers

devora_devoraMarch 28, 2008

I am in Israel, I am on the 12th floor with a North-North-West facing balcony; I get direct strong sun after midday in summer but very little direct sun in winter. It is windy and hot for most of the year.

I would like to make a list of annuals for containers, not climbers. I would like to attract the hummingbirds and bees, and for lots pf colour.

I usually get petunias as they are easy to grow and bloom all year if you keep cutting them back, but I am getting a little bored with them. I would like mixed containers, perhaps 4 or 5 plants in each container. I also have Hibiscus, I grow marigolds around them to try to get rid of aphids. I had nastursims but had to throw them as they get covered with caterpillas, I don't use insect spray.

I have no idea what the hardiness zone would be here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I live in a very hot climate, although we have high humidity, and I assume you are more desert like. Nevertheless, I would think you would have great luck with zinnias (Profusion and Crystals are excellent for containers), Salvia farinacea "Victoria", Scaevola (the blues are the best and make nice spillers out of containers), Gomphrena, melampodium, some of the low, bushy cosmos, pentas, marigolds and Vincas. You could also try portulaca, although the blooms tend to close up in the heat of the day. Small ornamental grasses are wonderful in containers too, like Stipas and pennisetums. Also, yuccas are very elegant in containers, as are phormiums, and cordylines. I should think they would all love your climate. As far as hummers and bees, etc. are concerned, I have found that if you have a variety of plants blooming, they will find you everytime.

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 10:34PM
gardenluv(8)

Gazanias did great in the heat for me, and were very drought tolerant.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 11:41AM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

I would add:
Chinese Forget-me-Not (Cynoglossum amabile)
Flowering Tobacco (Nicotiana)
African Daisy.....Venidium species....prefer to be on the dry side and could need a container all to themselves...1 or 2 per large wide container/basin These might even be perennial for you.

Vera

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 12:14PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

venidiums are great!

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 10:46PM
burntplants(8/9TX)

Hot weather flowers that can take dry conditions and attract butterflies:
Butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa)
Lantana (actually a perennial in very warm areas)
Verbena
Pentas
Blanketflower (Gaillardia)
Salvia
Spider Flower (Cleome)
Whirling Butterflies (Gaura)
Penstemon
Tickseed (Coreopsis)

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 10:19PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

IÂm not the OP but this is a useful list: thanks! I have an area the hose wonÂt reach.

That venidium is really interesting: looks a lot like the African daisies, osteospermum, but more interesting. Osteospermum are supposed to like the sun but for me they peter out midsummer.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 10:54AM
triple_b(BC 5b)

They are wonderful in real life, up close. The central colors look like they were painted by hand using a very fine brush.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 5:15PM
ankraras(8/9AZ)

To my surprise I have often had a hummingbird visit the Gerbera. I thought that the flowers were not the right type, but again, maybe they are.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 8:27PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Alyssum (Lobularia maritima)does well during the heat of our summers though I don't know how well they would handle your conditions which I'm assuming are rather low in humidity.

They are very easy to start from seed and the fragrance is sweet and honey like.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 8:44AM
newbie_in_nj(6b E/Central NJ)

This web site has beautiful galleries of flowering plants that grow in Israel. Site includes bloom times which would be important for heat tolerance issues. If it blooms there during hottest months it's shown in bloom time chart. Also has map of Israel breaking it down into climate/natural horticultural areas.

Also has links including "Wild Flowers of Israel" which has exhaustive list:

http://www.wildflowers.co.il/english/plantsIndex.asp

Don't know where you're located but map showing horticultural areas of country together with bloom time chart should give you lots of information to start with. All plants are listed by Latin names so I still have to Google them for common names but you may be ahead of me on that.

My best friend's daughter is married to an Israeli and lives in Tel Aviv. She's due to give birth to her first child in next few days. She said heat has been oppressive and she's more than ready to get the delivery going ASAP.

If you're in Jerusalem you could go see the Botanical Gardens to get an idea of what grows well there and in what season. They also have a lot of information and links to help you out.

http://www.botanic.co.il/english/index.htm

Good luck with your plantings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers in Israel

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 12:34PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

As if I didn't already want to see Isreal bad enough!

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 2:30AM
newbie_in_nj(6b E/Central NJ)

My parents made it to Israel a couple of years before my Mom passed away. They had wanted to go for years and years and when their parish was running a trip they went for it. Mom had a hard time getting around but she was always a trooper and seeing things that held so much significance for her spurred her along.

A year or two ago I read they've irrigated parts of the Negev desert and grow melons down there. Probably other things by now. I'm not sure where they grow the plants and cut flowers they export but it's becoming a sizable business sector.

That botanical garden is tremendous from the website information.

OT...triple_b, I got my father some "own root" roses from Heirloom Roses for Christmas. We were so upset when they arrived in May because they were so, so tiny. The miniature "Love Potion" (24" @ maturity) has 5 buds on it that are ready to open!
The floribunda "Wistful" just bloomed and it was a gorgeous lavender. We didn't cut it because it's the only bloom showing so far. The lavender floribunda is right next to a 34 year old red floribunda that's almost denuded from black spot and/or rust but still blooming its head off. The lavender floribunda and other new little rose bushes haven't caught the blight(s) and I'm hoping their rating of "very disease resistant" holds up as time goes on.
If my condo balcony wasn't so dark from facing north I'd have a couple miniatures in pots. Spend so much time here at my father's though I finally decided "we" needed some color so found relative sanity in starting gardens. I've quickly found out why I chose to live in a condo...LOL...a LOT less work.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 7:56AM
triple_b(BC 5b)

Yes I hope to go there one day while it is stil reasonabley safe. A couple girls from my church have been there and one posted some pictures of Isreal and Jerusalem on Facebook. I was amazed at how green it was. (springtime though, mind you.)

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 12:25AM
More Discussions
Hyacinth bean vine (Lablab)
Anyone grown this one? I grew hyacinth bean a long...
mxk3
Annual vine choice
If you had to choose between hyacinth bean (Lablab)...
mxk3
Growing morning glories on the shady side?
I was wondering how much shade will Heavenly Blue morning...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
pineapple sage???
Just like the ornamental pepper, I bought this as pineapple...
terratoma
How much sun can New Guinea Impatiens tolerate?
I thought of all impatiens as shade plants, but my...
linnea56
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™