Balcony gardening as a screen

condo_docNovember 12, 2006

We will be on the 3rd floor of a condo with nothwest exposure and need to block out the side of the clubhouse year round. Will need to have an effective screening year round, so I assume that evergreens are best. Will need about 6 feet high and about 8 feet long. No water outlet. Any suggestions regarding large containers, such as resin, and what plantings would accomplish that effect?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

The problem might be the wind and its effect on an evergreen... How is the wind exposure in that spot? I know that I get most of my worst winds out of the W and NW and that can end up dessicating the needles on the small leaf evergreens or browining out the larger leaf types.

What might help is putting up a lattice screen and then perhaps putting evergreens in front of that, with the lattice helping to knock out alot of the prevailing wind. You might alternately consider planting a vine like a clematis to use for screening... and if you chose a type 1 clematis, those maintain the main stems and offshoot vines (blooming on previous growth), which can then be trained against the lattice for a permanent screening. Even the type 3, which gets cut back each late winter, can easily grow to recover the lattice or other support.

Resin containers work well and are lightweight. I have my largest shrubs, a tree, a clematis & a wisteria in that type. Most of the rest of my shrubs and perennials are in the larger (14"/16") foam containers and they have held up well so far. I have a few other shrubs, perennials, and bulbs in smaller plastic containers and those have also held up so far.

Bookmark   November 19, 2006 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
splotchy leaves
I tried to Google what it might be but keywords "splotchy...
fzyflwrchld
Plant wilting
I bought this plant about 3 weeks ago and have recently...
hilste
Need help for my balcony kitchen garden
Hi from Ahmedabad. I have two big balcony of about...
saisula
time to get your starts planted
Just check to see what other are doing as far as getting...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Which vine should I get?
I'm looking to do something similar to the picture...
Wilmember
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™