okay to plant out zinnias and morning glories?

pansyloverandgrower(Zone 8)March 20, 2011

im curious, i have zinnas, morning glories, that have outgrown their nursery pots, but i dont have any room under the grow light for the bigger pots, can i put them outside now? if a frost might be coming i will bring them inside though.

im also confused, when will be the last frost here in lynnwood? some places say april 15, some march 10

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zen_man

pansyloverandgrower,

"...when will be the last frost here in lynnwood?"

There is weather data available, but it is in terms of probabilities. I am sure that you know that no one can say with certainty that the last killing frost will be on a certain date. It varies from year to year, and some years can have some unusual weather. What state is Lynnwood located in? Knowing that, we can access some specific data, and maybe come up with a 90% certain date.

ZM

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 1:22AM
calistoga_al

Zinnias are not happy in the cold even it does not reach the killing stage. I would not be in a hurry to put them out, even if they don't die, they will not grow either. Al

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 7:45AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

And you can call your local extension office to learn the date of the last expected frost.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 11:42AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you should also make some good notes about starting your seeds too early .. lol ...

a 2 week delay would have put you right in phase ..

timing is the biggest problem i ever encountered with starting seeds ... especially up here where i have frosts thru 6/1 ... in MI ...

ken

ps: and if you bought them.. same note .. different subject.. lol ..

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 12:28PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Well now, depending on where you live in zone 8, it might be okay now. My night time lows are forecast to be in the mid fifties with daytime highs in the seventies to low eighties for the foreseeable forecast. That is warm enough for zinnias. You did start them too early for a normal year, but that's not what I'm having. The groundhog was so right! We've had an extraordinarily early spring! I am going to start my zinnia seeds this week. And will grow them outside with the option of bringing them in if nights get cold again. (A real possibility until early April.)

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 11:38PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Here is a link too: NCDC: Freeze/Frost Maps [That is NOAA's site. Why is it called NCDC?]

The maps are not to good. I would appreciate a link to better maps.

Google's first ghit for ''lynnwood'' is WA. If you are in Washington state Sunsets Western Garden Book might be the best place to start. If there is a nearby library I wouldn't just run out and buy it but my 30 year old book still has maps that are quite reliable in Nevada.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 3:52PM
zen_man

If the Lynnwood we are talking about is the one in Washington state, its climate is described as "cool and rainy", which is far from ideal for zinnias. I didn't see any weather data for Lynnwood, but there is data for nearby Everett. But cool wet weather promotes several zinnia foliage diseases.

ZM

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 2:58AM
calistoga_al

We are promised next week to have daytime temperatures as high as 70 degrees, we haven't had any yet. Here in sunny California most days so far are in the high fifties or low sixties. Unfortunately plants don't know about the calender, but they do react to the temperature. We are well over our normal amount of rain and well under the normal amount of heat. Al

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
Best Garden worthy Sunflower?
I haven't found a Sunflower seed to purchase for this...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Growing morning glories on the shady side?
I was wondering how much shade will Heavenly Blue morning...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Sweet Peas: How to keep alive after 1 ft?
I've tried growing Sweet Peas. They get to about 1...
ladyrose65
What seeds are you starting this year?
I am already planning what seeds I will be starting...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
Sunflowers Concerns: Current pot sizes and future home, the lawn
I started my first sunflower last August with seeds...
invisigoth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™