Vole resistant annual recommendations???

victorine72(7a)April 6, 2009

Help!!! Does anyone know if the following annuals are at all vole resistant? I have gomphrena, various coleus, ageratum, zinnias, portulaca, petunias, cosmos, clarkia, four o'clocks, ammi majus, nicotiana, black-eye-susan vine, amaranthus, convolvulus, vincas, verbena, impatients and morning glories. Some of these I have been growing from seed since February. I would be very sad to loose the hard work to critters. I don't want to plant all of them in mesh cages if I don't have to.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zen_man

victorine,

I don't know if you need to worry about the voles. Check with your neighbors to see if they have been suffering actual vole damage to their ornamentals. If they haven't, I wouldn't worry about it until you suffered known vole damage.

If it develops that voles are an actual problem for you, you can consider Vole control measures. I am not sure there are any "vole resistant annuals", if that is even a known category. Possibly Castor Beans, but they aren't in your list. Although voles may not be a problem for you, I think you should be more concerned about cutworms. They can do serious damage among small plants. I have no idea if any of your plants are resistant to cutworms, but I bet a lot of them aren't.

ZM

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Sweet peas (long and waffling)
Every year, I have the same dilemma - should I be a...
Campanula UK Z8
What seeds are you starting this year?
I am already planning what seeds I will be starting...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
Need trellis ideas for growing sweet peas?
Please if you would post pictures of how you grow your...
ladyrose65
Angelonia that Survived Winter
Some of our Angelonia has, so far survived winter....
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
How to prolong flowering in Nigella or love in the mist flowers
Hi I am growing Nigella flowers for my son's wedding...
winddancers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™