" Help Me "

hollyhocker_123(6)April 23, 2014

I finally am able to log in! I was pulling my eyeballs out of my head! I'm really late in starting seeds. Is it too late for petunias and snaps. I just couldn't get it together in feb. I bought this seed starting mix in Walmart. I tried to moisten the soil from below. It wont dampen. I made this seed holder from an empty mushroom container. I put holes in the bottom. This mix wont moisten. I never had this problem wth potting soil.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i use an old fashioned dish washing pan ... fill with media.. and use warm water and toss it around until it moist .. see link ..

peat soaks up warm water easier ...

put in the pot or tray ... and plant the next day.. when its cool ...

if you already put the seed in.. i dont know... how to wet it ... leave it in a tray for days on end.. and mist it from the top???

i always moisten media PRIOR to use ...

if your mushroom container is paper.. you have a good chance of introducing disease ...

you would be better off buying a salad and using a tray with a top for germination ... with holes in the bottom.. wash it wish 10% bleach first .. a mini greenhouse ...

you have plenty of time in z10.. to grow seed.. you just wont be the first garden with flowers...

good luck..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: think dollar store

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 6:21PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

If you're in zone 10 then it's too late for petunias and snapdragons from seed. They like cool weather.

Next time you buy potting mix make sure it has a wetting agent in the ingredients. For now, knead and squeeze the water into the peat moss like you're mixing dough. Don't let the mix ever dry out after planting.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:10AM
hollyhocker_123(6)

test message

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 12:12PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Ken's suggestion is the best one with regards to wetting media -- do it before planting. However, perhaps you tried to and had issues there? There are a couple things one can do to make the initial wetting easier, IME.

One is to mist/spritz the media as well as pouring a bit of water into the tub wherein the media is being moistened. Mix the media up a bit. Spritz again. Add a little more water if the first quantity was absorbed but most of the media is still dry. Repeat

Another, which can be used in conjunction with the above is to add a couple drops of dish detergent to the water first. Swirl the water gently so the drops dissolve but not so vigorously as to make the detergent foam.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
Winter survival of Dusty Miller.
I have seen Dusty Miler survive the winter in some...
emerogork2
Best medium for starting seeds
In a previous thread I was advised to use a seed starting...
zaphod42
hey NEWBIE
we are doing a whole series of posts in the perennial...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Multistem Tulips
So I'm pretty new to gardening being a first time home...
Justin
I need help with my Big Red Judy.
Hello Folks! I planted two Cloeus Big Red Judy's last...
infynite
Sponsored Products
Foil Undertone Glass Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
'Thank You For Helping Me Grow' Personalized Flower Pen
$12.99 | zulily
Three-Light Chrome Bath Fixture
$54.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™