First petunia blooms of the season

kdog2568April 5, 2014

This is one of my "yellow horizon" petunias that just opened up a couple of days ago. Certainly not as yellow as the company depicted(I had to get the lighting just right to even get this much yellow to show in the picture) but I had heard this from a few other customers and still thought they would be worth adding to the garden :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

Hurray - blooms! I have a few under lights that are forming buds. I grew yellow horizon last year and quite liked it. This year I decided to try Baby ducks for my yellows, and I couldn't get any to germinate! Every year it seems there is one or two types I get that germinate poorly, while all of the rest come on strong. I don't know if its the seed, or if some petunias are much pickier about germination temps than others.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:01AM
kdog2568

Were your yellow horizons as light as mine appear to be or did you get some darker yellows?

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 6:15PM
mandolls(4)

I think they were pretty much what you have in your photo, I remember being surprised at how pale they were, which is why I tried the yellow duck. I think that next season I'll switch to calabrachia for my yellow.

Here is a link that might be useful: deep yellow calabrachia

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 6:54AM
More Discussions
plant id please
This is blooming in my house right now. I had it outside...
sorie6
pineapple sage???
Just like the ornamental pepper, I bought this as pineapple...
terratoma
growing flowers for a wedding
Hi all! My niece asked if I would grow flowers for...
quicksilver
Annual vine choice
If you had to choose between hyacinth bean (Lablab)...
mxk3
Impatiens dropping buds and yellowing leaves
I posted this in the impatiens forum, but not much...
joannemb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™