question on tassel flower

ellenr22May 19, 2009

Tassel flower - I bought the small plants and planted them 2 weeks ago. They are sup'd to grow about 18 inches long, on a slim stem, with a big red flower on the end.

After a few days the rabbits got them, bit their leaves. So I re-planted them behind a fence. I am always moving things and I know how to do it successfully, but maybe this plant is very unhappy at being moved.

So for over 10 days I been watching these guys, and there is NO sign of growth. They don't look dead, just nothing is happening. I know perhaps the roots are growing, but it seems a long time not to see the tiniest sign of life on top.

I don't know what the problem is, the rabbits or whatever it was, nibbled the leaves, they didn't pull them up or disturb the roots. So they should recover shouldn't they?

I am getting ready to toss them. GRrr.

Any idea?

thank you,

ellen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

How do the soils in their two locations compare? That might be a clue. As a rule, annuals resent being moved, though of course, we all do it. Still, they can sometimes be slow to resume growth after being moved. I definitely wouldn't give up on them. If they have been in the ground a week or more, you might give them a drink of half-strength liquid fertilizer to jump start them.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 2:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellenr22

Same soil, I only moved them to re-group them so I could fence them in. I have given them some low-strength fertilizer.

Actually yesterday, I finally saw - I think - some new growth! Unless I'm imagining it. lol.
so i'll keep the faith and keep them.

Coulda been that the frost about a week ago slowed them down too. We had a dip to 32 degrees and some of my flowers got zapped, altho these tassel flowers did not show any visible sign.

ellen

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
Annuals reseeding in pots?
Hi there. I have kind of an odd question, couldn't...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Need trellis ideas for growing sweet peas?
Please if you would post pictures of how you grow your...
ladyrose65
Question About Sowing Larkspur
I live in east Texas. Can I sow Larkspur now? If so,...
alameda/zone 8
Seed order
Finally got around to ordering my seeds. I usually...
mxk3
It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 30
Hello everyone, Welcome to this ongoing message thread....
zen_man
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™