Blue and purple salvia together

schoolhouse_gwMay 31, 2008

Well,since I nixed the use of the lobelia in my full sun - crescent shaped bed, I decided on blue salvia and purple salvia planted together, staggered. The blue can reach 12" (or more, like it did there one year) and the purple around 10". I've planted both of these annuals more than once over the years and have always had great luck with them - even in the hottest of summers. My only concern is that the blue's foliage will crowd out the purple. Guess I'll find out come late June or early July. I'll try to post a photo.

One note, the two flats of purple were the last ones at the nursery and had already been pinched back - some of them severely. Normally salvia doesn't mind that so I'm optimistic.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Sounds nice....but I think I would have added some bright red too...

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 2:47PM
schoolhouse_gw

For some reason, I don't care for red in my garden. Unless it's a rosey shade, which is the color of the nasturtiums I plant every year - except this year. I planted a mahogany colored nasturtium. Will be interesting to see if they are actually a very dark red or indeed a deep brown/red. In one of my borders, I have blue eyed grass and magenta pinks planted together.

But, blue/purple/bright red would be a good color combination in someone else's garden. Thanks for the feedback.

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 9:04PM
kioni(3)

If that's what you were asking, is for a third colour.... how about some dusty miller? Or something white, I've read white is great for 'gluing' other colours together, or giving the eye a rest between shades, and it might accentuate the blues and purples.

Can't wait to see photos, I've not been brave enough yet to do a big block of one colour yet, and I'd love to do blue, but fear I'll cave and buy up some peaches and salmons and reds, and then there goes the monotone idea!

kioni

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 10:01PM
schoolhouse_gw

Not looking for a third color this time, but I did consider doing a blue with a lighter blue, then plant an initial (letter B for the name of my schoolhouse)in a white; but maybe next year. Yes, Dusty Miller is good, I tried that by planting blue salvia then bordering it with Dusty Miller one season; but, the salvia grew taller and over the DM. The bed is a crescent shape with a boxwood hedge (kept clipped 8") around it. So height is the main concern when choosing the annual(s) to fill it. The lobelia was the perfect height, but not the perfect plant for the area.

Last year I tried putting purple salvia in the center and blue ageratum as the border. The ageratum got more foliage than bloom for some reason, got tall, and then ragged looking quickly, even tho I pinched back frequently.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
How long do zinnia seeds keep for?
I'd like to place an order for some zinnia seeds. However,...
msmorningsong
Hyacinth bean vine (Lablab)
Anyone grown this one? I grew hyacinth bean a long...
mxk3
Fence decorating w/ annuals & other things?
I was going to post this on vertical gardening but...
ked1985
Shade annuals in 8a
I am looking for some annuals for beds facing NNE in...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Best medium for starting seeds
In a previous thread I was advised to use a seed starting...
zaphod42
Sponsored Products
Hopson Single Arm Sofa - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Petal Pusher Area Rug - White, 8' Round
Grandin Road
New Authentic Light Blue/Ivory Oushak 4'x6' Hand Knotted Turkish Wool Rug H3579
BH Sun Inc
Luna Metallic Blue and Yellow Six Piece Queen Duvet Set
$399.00 | Bellacor
Safavieh Hand-made Chevron Ivory/ Blue Shag Rug (4' x 6')
Overstock.com
Blue & Red Medallion Angelou Rug
$19.99 | zulily
Good Ideas Garden Wizard Elevated Garden - GW-EG-GRN
$202.76 | Hayneedle
Weathered Bronze Whitehaus RNW35L Extra Long 3 1/2'' Strainer Duet Sinks
$45.00 | Blue Bath
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™