Will someone please help with my snapdragons?

aggieroseMay 6, 2008

I planted snapdragons a few years ago. I have never done anything to them, but they survive through the winter and bloom great in the spring. I will trim them down when they get bushy. They bloomed great this year, but last week I noticed of them looked horrible. When I took a closer look, I saw that the leaves all had a yellow tint to them and there are brown spots all over the stems and the undersides of the leaves. They are almost completely covered with these spots and the plants look very close to dead. When I rub the spots I am just left with a brownish powdery substance on my fingers. The nursery said it is mites, but it sure doesn't look like mites to me. Could this be rust? I've never seen it before. If it is, can I just cut the plants to the ground and let them re-grow or do I have to pull them all up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I'm surprised they have lasted this long. Snaps are a cool season annual in my area (almost a straight line east of Dallas). I plant them with pansies in the fall, and then pull them up and discard them when the heat moves in. Mine have been pretty for several weeks now, but will probably come out inside of two weeks more, if not sooner. The yellowing and brown spots are what I see when they begin to burn up in the late spring/early summer heat. Be happy! Pull them up and plant zinnias! :)

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 8:53PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Puccinia antirrhini - aka snapdragon rust - a common malady, especially when temps are cool.

Some sulfur sprays are effective at prevention and help with control.

Al

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 9:02PM
aggierose

donnabaskets, I must not have explained very well. The brown spots are only on the bottom of the leaves and the stems, and they are actually bumps. When I rub them I have a brown powdery substance on them. All of the brown spots are almost perfect circles. It is definitely not burn from heat as I have seen that on many other plants before. These same plants have made it through 2 previous summers here in Dallas. I don't know why. I know they aren't supposed to, but they have with no trouble at all from the heat. They are under a tree so that probably helps. I don't want to pull them up because I was happy I had found a plant that would live all year long. I spend so much money on plants that it helps to find some that last forever. They don't bloom all year of course (only in the spring), but they live and look good as little bushes. I don't even have to do anything to protect them in the winter and they are on the north side of my house! If you have any other thoughts on what this might be please let me know. I would really like to save them.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 9:03PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

tapla suggested one problem above. I'm sure you and I both know how common fungal diseases are in our hot, humid (or cold, damp) south. Try tapla's remedy. If they recover, and you ever get seeds from them, let me know! :)

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Sweet peas (long and waffling)
Every year, I have the same dilemma - should I be a...
Campanula UK Z8
Seed order
Finally got around to ordering my seeds. I usually...
mxk3
suggested flowers for my containers?
Last year in my deck flower boxes I planted Petunias...
njitgrad
It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 30
Hello everyone, Welcome to this ongoing message thread....
zen_man
Annuals reseeding in pots?
Hi there. I have kind of an odd question, couldn't...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™