Lavatera Trimestris

barsac(z7 MD)June 28, 2008

Folks,

I grew Lavatera Trimestris Twins from seed this year and planted them early (April) out in full sun. They were gorgeous thru mid-June. Now, the leaves are getting shriveled and brown. It certainly isn't drying out, we've had a wet season here in the D.C. area. It is hot and humid now and I'm wondering if this plant is more of a cool season annual? I'm having the exact same problem with my Bells of Ireland. They started out beautiful and now are shriveling and browning up (although I notice the leaves here have tan spots on them first before they totally shrivel).

I have these plants in a huge bed up front with tons of other annuals that are all doing great with this weather we've been having (regular rain and sunshine).

Brian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Bells of Ireland is considered a cool season plant. Lavatera trimestris is not supposed to be, but when I planted it last year, it died out by midsummer. One person's one time experience isn't definitive, but maybe others will chime in.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 5:41PM
davissue_zone9(z9 Sunset 14)

I find that there are a lot of annuals that can't take frost, but can't take the heat either. They probably do very well as summer annuals in cool climates, but I have given up on ever growing these types. I find Nasturiums, Nemesia, Salpiglossis, Schizanthus and Brachycome are like this too.

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 12:12AM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

Lavatera are BEAUTIFUL when in full flower! I have grown them in the past, and I found that after the first flowering, which occured around beginning of July and lasted about a month, they petered out and didn't really flower much, if at all, the rest of the season. I grew them a couple seasons in a row, and each experience was the same. Mine were grown from seed each season.

I don't grow them anymore because I plant annuals for sheer flower power - if I wanted something in a particular spot with only a month or so of solid blooming, I would plant a perennial.

You could do succession plantings, sow three to four batches of seeds about a month apart, and that should solve the problem.

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Ipomoea nil I have grown this winter
I wanted to share some photos of Japanese morning glories...
gerris2
hey NEWBIE
we are doing a whole series of posts in the perennial...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Amaranthus
Anyone raise amaranthus? I tried it first this year,...
Diamond2014
sunflower wedding
my daughter is having her 2nd wedding the long weekend...
larkspur_grow
How long do zinnia seeds keep for?
I'd like to place an order for some zinnia seeds. However,...
msmorningsong
People viewed this after searching for:
d c
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™