Petunias, do I cut them back????

gardenlady76(TX coast/9)June 6, 2011

I normally do not grow Petunias, but, this year I planted three big hanging baskets and they were just beautiful. But, the Texas heat has not been kind to them. I have been deadheading and watering two or three times a day and now they are really beginning to look ragged. Can I cut them back a bit because they are getting leggy looking? And, the new blooms are getting smaller and smaller. To cut or not to cut?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Absolutely, give them a good haircut right away. You should also be fertilizing them frequently with a low dose of soluble fertilizer. Some do it at every watering, but I don't feed my outdoor flowering containers that often.

It sounds like they might be in a location that received full sun all day long. Is there a place you can hang them where they might not get hit by the strongest afternoon sun? It's SO hot where you are right now!

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 12:34PM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

Totally different zone up here, but just to chime in - I shear my petunias back mid-season (usually around middle of July). They look cr*ppy for a week or two afterwards but fill back fairly quickly and then the flower display picks up again. If I don't shear back after they poop out mid-summer, well, they're just pooped out then...

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 12:44PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Next year, if you buy babies again, pinch (tip prune) them right away. It's hard to do, remove the pretty flowers you just bought, but this usually encourages lateral branching and fuller plants with many more blooms on each.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 10:51AM
More Discussions
Sunflowers Concerns: Current pot sizes and future home, the lawn
I started my first sunflower last August with seeds...
invisigoth
Impatiens dropping buds and yellowing leaves
I posted this in the impatiens forum, but not much...
joannemb
grandmamaloy FYI
You should know by now that attaching a link to your...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Seed order
Finally got around to ordering my seeds. I usually...
mxk3
Black Dragon Coleus care
Hello! I'm a bit new to this plant growing/care thing...
Silverling
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™