How many Wave Petunias to a basket?

ashliJune 4, 2005

I made 3 hanging baskets and poked 3 Wave Petunias in each 14-inch basket...and they still look "scraggly"

Maybe I need a larger container? I want the pots to look full. How many petunias to a pot would that take?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

As many as you can afford. They will eventually fill in....but I want my baskets to look good NOW....so I put the plants very close.
But be aware more plants means more water and more feeding. I feed about 1/5 strength liquid fertilizer about every time I water....but confess to sometimes just using the hose!
Linda C

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 12:51PM
ashli

I thought if I put the plants real close together there wouldn't be enough soil for them to grow...
Thanks Linda...I want mine to look good NOW too...and I will repot them tomorrow.
Have a safe weekend!

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 11:33PM
milmil

At the wave petunia web site, they suggest 3~4 plants in a 10" basket.
Here is the link that might be needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: wave petunia

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 1:58PM
ctufts(z4 Maine)

YOu need atleast 6 - 7 plants in a 14" pot. I grow and sell hanging baskets out of my greenhouse. I put 4 in a 10" basket. I would use alteast 7 for a 14" pot if you want a nice full basket. I hope this helps.

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 3:37PM
ctufts(z4 Maine)

ALso, your plants may look scraggly because they need to be pinched back atleast twice while they are growing. Pinch back the long shoots once they reach the edge of the basket,and that will allow it to fill out the center of the plant. Then after a couple weeks, you can pinch them again...and then let them grow. Wave Petunias are extremely heavy feeders and require ALOT of Fertilizer. It would be beneficial to your Waves to fertilize with every watering (every day) until they are well on their way,,then you can fertilize once per week. Goodluck !

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 3:45PM
katrina_casavant_hotmail_com

I put 9-10 plants in a 14 inch pot and they turn out absolutly beautiful. I water them every day or every other and fertilize them with egg and miracle grow. Lots and Lots of water and sun i think is the trick. Good Luck!
8-)

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 1:15AM
dorne

I have a small nursery and put 2 petunia plants (any type of petunia) to an 8" basket and 3 though sometimes 4 to a 10" basket. By the time they start flowering they are just hanging over the side of the basket.
For fertilizer I use Osmocote 4 month slow release which seems to work just right.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 5:31AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I usually put 3, just so they dangle in each of the 3 spaces between the hanging arms.

I don't have any of the bigger hanging pots but the smaller ones always have a recess in the bottom, where the drain hole is actually about 1/2 inch above the bottom surface of the pot. This means that after watering, 1/2 inch of water sits in the bottom of the pot. This can cause the plants in hanging baskets to be killed way before summer is over. Since I started putting holes in the true bottom of the pot, all hanging basket plants have done so much better. A shrub pruner is what I use, and can be done while the plant is in the pot.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
suggested flowers for my containers?
Last year in my deck flower boxes I planted Petunias...
njitgrad
Sunflowers Concerns: Current pot sizes and future home, the lawn
I started my first sunflower last August with seeds...
invisigoth
What seeds are you starting this year?
I am already planning what seeds I will be starting...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
Growing morning glories on the shady side?
I was wondering how much shade will Heavenly Blue morning...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Seed order
Finally got around to ordering my seeds. I usually...
mxk3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™