pull up or cut down sunflowers

lexie1397June 7, 2014

Hello!

I have recently redone a bed intending to make it a cut flower garden, but I got started too late this year so I just stuck sunflowers in it so we can enjoy something this year.

I have decided to do mostly bulbs and purchased quite a few. It seems to me I ought to get them in the ground despite my temporary sunflower solution, but I don't want to disturb them overmuch in the fall. Once the sunflowers are finished, can I just cut the stalks back to the ground and allow the rootstock to decompose naturally or do they really need pulled up? Appearances over winter arent much of an issue- mulch/chips and snow take care of that!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linaria_gw

annual sunflowers (Helianthus annuus) can develop pretty thick stalks and strong root systems.

It could be difficult to plant bulbs near one with the root system still in place.

If you have plenty of space you could leave them in the ground, I think.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 6:16PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

what bulbs are supposed to be planted now?? perhaps its your use of the word bulb that confuses ...

bulbs would be planted in fall ... right after the sunflowers were removed for the season ... [and i dont even know who would be selling bulbs now]

perhaps we can get further if you tell us what you got ... rather than using the generic term

ken

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:01AM
gardenper(8)

How about half and half?

Take down some sunflowers, using them for compost if available. Plant the bulbs and any permanent plants there (including annuals that reseed, perennials, etc)

Then leave another part with sunflowers so you can still benefit from them also. In the fall, seed that area with the desired plants.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 1:18PM
alisande(Zone 4b)

You didn't say what kind of sunflowers you're growing, but by the time mine are finished for the season, their stalks are like wood. I can't imagine trying to cut them at ground level. Or at any other level.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Zinnia - collecting seeds
I save some seeds last year and they did not germinate....
chipeony
hey NEWBIE
we are doing a whole series of posts in the perennial...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Shade annuals in 8a
I am looking for some annuals for beds facing NNE in...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Annual vine choice
If you had to choose between hyacinth bean (Lablab)...
mxk3
Hyacinth bean vine (Lablab)
Anyone grown this one? I grew hyacinth bean a long...
mxk3
Sponsored Products
Artemide | Logico Suspension Triple Nested
YLiving.com
Acrylic Diffuser 2 Tiers Drum Shade Modern Pendant Ceiling Lighting Large
ParrotUncle
Bruck | V/A Sphere
YLighting
Fresca Torino 36" Espresso Modern Bathroom Vanity with Side Cabinet & Integrated
Modern Bathroom
Textured Lines Rug 15' x 20' - BROWN
$9,899.00 | Horchow
Homelegance Archstone 7 Piece 60 Inch Dining Room Set w/ Black Chairs
Beyond Stores
Stone Mill Oil-rubbed Bronze Bayshore Cabinet Pulls (Pack of 25)
Overstock.com
Stirrup 3 Wall Lamp
Design Within Reach
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™