Should I Deadhead Portulaca?

dcrosby(5MA)June 24, 2008

Hi

Just wondering if I should deadhead Portulaca.

Thanks so much!

Dale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momamamo

You don't have to, but you can. You just have to be careful because the new little buds are so close to the dying ones. Personally, I do it because the plants look cleaner sooner! So I'm just beating them to what they're going to do anyway. Happy gardening! Maureen

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 7:09AM
dcrosby(5MA)

Hi Maureen

Thanks Maureen for your imput! I see your point about the proximately of the old flower and the new bud. If I don't deadhead them do you think it will impair its flowering?

Dale

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 11:56AM
momamamo

I think you can leave them alone if that's your preference. The plant chucks the dead foliage pretty quickly. I'll deadhead mine occasionally only because they're right by my front door and if I'm just standing there... Maureen

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 12:43PM
cosmolover(5 Downest Maine)

Hi all,

I deadhead mine too. I also save the seed pods for the next year. Very easy to do with these. They reseed great! Just wait until the part where the petals were turns really black and pluck them off. Good Luck!!

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 2:59PM
amna(6 (MA))

Hello everyone,

If you don't deadhead portulaca, is there a possibility that it will come back next year? I read somewhere that once they establish themselves they can reseed and come back? I grew some from seed this year and they've just started blooming - so pretty! Wish they were perenninals.

Anyone had any experience with portulaca coming back particularly in zone6?

Thanks,
Amna

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 9:18PM
brockthegreek

Howdy,
I remove the ripe seed pods and scatter the seeds back into the planter. Each year I get a nice new batch of plants. You also can just let the seeds fall on their own. They should do as well in your zone 6 as it does in my zone 7.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 5:52AM
cosmolover(5 Downest Maine)

Amna,

They do overwinter here in Maine (Zone 5) too.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 3:24PM
ncdaisies

My neighbor turned me on to Portulaca, and her's reseeds. I will find out this year, but I am collecting seed just in case, too.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 9:30PM
dcrosby(5MA)

Sounds good to me!
Thanks again!
Dale

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 10:04PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

I love popping open the seed pods when dried and collecting all the seeds inside. They resemble poppy seeds. It's fun!

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 5:02PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Portulaca is an annual and won't overwinter.
It will reseed...no need to save seeds just let what falls on the ground be. I also suspect the seeds have to be stratified to grow.
Linda C

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 1:28PM
calliope(6)

No they do not require stratification.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 10:22PM
dcrosby(5MA)

I look forward to next years Portulaca!

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 9:31AM
tbenton(Z7 VA)

I have had portulaca for years. They not only survive the winter but self seed too. Because of this I have so many of them that they are very crowded in solid 'mats' in their pots and never bloom anymore. I like the little green plants but is there a way I can get them to bloom again? I love to watch them open in the sun and close at night.

Thanks
Terri

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 3:26PM
izharhaq

Just thin em up..!! leaving only the younger plants, start giving them a general purpose liquid fertilizer, until they start blooming again...

here are mine:

Cheers~

Izhar

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 7:26AM
heylady4uk_bellsouth_net

Oops! I found this thread just after I had deadheaded my Portulaca. I'm afraid I snipped off the dead buds. Have I ruined my plants?

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 10:45AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

No, you haven't ruined them, they'll recover and develop new growing tips.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 12:39PM
heylady4uk_bellsouth_net

Whew! Thanks for so quickly letting me know there's hope! This is my first year to do Portulaca, and I absolutely love them. I paired them with bright yellow Marigolds and a spikey grass in the center. They really make a statement in the outside planters here at the office.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 5:08PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I have portulaca in my deck boxes. SEVERAL years ago, I bought one six pack of some singles that were sold as a "tropical sunset" blend. I love the colors: magentas, oranges, yellows, etc. They faithfully reseeded into one box for years. Last fall, I cleaned out all the dead plants after frost, put them in a bag, and in the spring, sprinkled the "trash" in my other boxes. Every box has plants in them and are gorgeous. Couldn't ask for anything easier than that!

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 7:00PM
singleton165(z5 NH Seacoast)

A new friend just introduced me to Portulaca. She has them in pots all over the place and finds it very relaxing to deadhead them. I think I'll pick them up this weekend, the Tequila Mix. The colors will go nicely with the "Corona Gold" of my house (as my DD calls it).

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Seed order
Finally got around to ordering my seeds. I usually...
mxk3
Growing morning glories on the shady side?
I was wondering how much shade will Heavenly Blue morning...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
What seeds are you starting this year?
I am already planning what seeds I will be starting...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
plant id please
This is blooming in my house right now. I had it outside...
sorie6
Sunflowers Concerns: Current pot sizes and future home, the lawn
I started my first sunflower last August with seeds...
invisigoth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™