My Petunias are all dying

tephipps(6 NOK)June 7, 2005

Stranges thing, happened last year too. All my petunias are dying. The ones in hanging baskets are fine. The ones I planted in the ground are all shriveling up and dying but all my other flowers in the beds are fine, flourishing even. Any ideas would be great. Thank You, Tisha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Are you watering them?
Linda C

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 8:21PM
carrie630(z7bNC)

Are they getting too much water?

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 10:20PM
ellen_inmo(6)

Are you making sure you are deadheading them, pinching them back as necessary? The reason I ask is, I recently had to purchase some Merlin petunias from Wal Mart, as all my seed grown ones were devoured by rabbits. I noticed that all plants had never been pinched, they were these long, leggy plants with one flower atop a 10 inch stem. There were many plants in the 6 packs that were dieing out, and there were dried up flowers all along the stems. Many plants were dead. I am sure there are 100 other things that could lead to the death (no doubt improper watering), but I am curious if a petunia that has never been deadheaded will eventually die out. Anyone know??

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 11:32PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

A petunia will continue to grow until frost......even if never deadheaded...It will even produce some side branches, but not as many as if deadheaded regularly and pinched back when a stem gets long...
Linda C

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 10:12AM
Mcant(6a VA)

I have had this same problem, now for the third year, after having beautiful ones before. The problem seems to be soil-borne and from reading other sites, soil fungicides will do little good. The best suggestion is to plant something else for a few years -crop rotation! Apparently Wave petunias are especially susceptible to this problem.

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 12:04AM
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

Sounds like a possible Ralstonia solanacearum AKS Southern Bacterial Wilt. Host plants include those in the Solanaceae family which includes Petunia, Tomato, Pepper, Eggplant, Potato...weeds like Ground Cherry, Datura,and the Nightshades.
Spreads via soil water from plant root to plant root...does not show much in the way if any of water-soaked leaf-spots as do other Bacterial Leaf Spot pathogens like Xanthomonas spp. Plant can be infected in cool weather but not show any symptoms until the weather is warmer...yellowing of lower leaves, sudden wilting even with good soil moisture.,etc. The bacteria enters through the roots and plugs the vascular system and therefore inhibits the uptake/conduction of water/nutrients.

I would talk to your local extention office agent and see about a positive ID

Vera

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
SUNFLOWER LOVERS???
Hello everyone! If you would like to see some wonderful...
halocline
ornamental pepper?
I bought this plant as an ornamental pepper ('Black...
terratoma
Nasturtium seedlings and 29 degrees
I have some nasturtiums that have sprouted and are...
sara82lee
Shade annuals in 8a
I am looking for some annuals for beds facing NNE in...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
What seeds are you starting this year?
I am already planning what seeds I will be starting...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
Sponsored Products
Campania International Gnome Garden Wall - S-431-AL
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Danze® Opulence™ Single Handle Vessel Filler - Chrome
Modern Bathroom
Heirloom Old Bronze One-Light 11-Foot Cord Pendant with Large Straight Metal
$504.00 | Bellacor
Moda Chrome Eight-Light 46-Inch Island Pendant with Swarovski Strass Jet Black C
Bellacor
Armen Living Amanda Corner Seating - Black - LCAMCOBLSF
$840.00 | Hayneedle
Pahu Chrome Two-Light Square Canopy Bath Fixture with Transparent Olive and Opal
$495.00 | Bellacor
Elements Fine Home Estate Fabric Chair Set - EST-2PC-SC-SC-SEAS-7
Hayneedle
New Antiqued Red & Ivory Hand Knotted Kazak 3'x5' Oriental Wool Area Rug H3458
BH Sun Inc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™