sunflower new growth?

LauraDubbsJune 25, 2014

Hi! I am brand new to forum, just joined because I thought someone might be able to help. Does anyone know what is going on with my sunflower? I rescued a seedling from a friend, and grew it in a small pot in my windowsill in my apartment. I had super good luck and it turned into a beautiful mini sunflower! It has recently started to wilt, which I realize is part of its life cycle. But the other day I noticed these little buds in the crevices of the stems. Is this possibly new flower buds? Thanks for anyone's help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linaria_gw

Some cultivars are branching types. If you feed it a little bit, you could encourage those buds to grow into nice new flowers. If you want new ones, cutting off the spent central flower head would help as well.

And you really grew this plant indoors? that`s quite amazing, I thought they would require more light.

O, and feeding, in a pot means liquid mineral fertilizer, whatever you can lay your hands on.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 5:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

It has recently started to wilt, which I realize is part of its life cycle.

==>>> not that i am aware of ..

the flower head may have turned down .. but that isnt wilt .. it sunflower normal ...

also ... did you know... they follow the sun ... i dont recall the term ... but on a weekend.. observe it during the day ... and you should see such.. though that may be complicated by the indoor thing ...

based on the pic above.. i say new flower buds.. and there is nothing wrong with your plant... dont go loving it to death.. because you think its wilting... and with its lush growth.. i dont even think it needs any fert.. other than what you are already doing.. somewhat to perfection ... [except for indoors ...]

ken

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
suggested flowers for my containers?
Last year in my deck flower boxes I planted Petunias...
njitgrad
Growing morning glories on the shady side?
I was wondering how much shade will Heavenly Blue morning...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Sweet peas (long and waffling)
Every year, I have the same dilemma - should I be a...
Campanula UK Z8
ornamental pepper?
I bought this plant as an ornamental pepper ('Black...
terratoma
How to prolong flowering in Nigella or love in the mist flowers
Hi I am growing Nigella flowers for my son's wedding...
winddancers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™