What is eatting my sunflower's leaves?

anniexueJuly 22, 2009

I planted several sunflower seeds in the beginning of July, and now they are almost 5 inches tall. Today, I found that the leaves of several Aztec Gold Hybrid are eaten completely. I also planted some vanilla ice, jade hybrid, and autumn beauty mix. So far there is no problem of them at all. My question is, what eat my sunflowers? And what can I do to prevent this happen again? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
perennialfan273(zone 5)

We need to know more in order to help. "the leaves of several Aztec Gold Hybrid are eaten completely" doesn't really help much.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 11:16PM
pink_warm_mama_1(Z4 Maine)

Do you have deer? They love sunflowers.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 11:22AM
scaly(6)

I believe slugs are eating your sunflowers. I planted a bunch of 4" tall sunflowers in the garden a month ago. Next day some had the leaves totally gone. Some just had holes in the leaves. The slugs totally killed a lot of my annuals this year. I know it's slugs because I see them on the plant early in the morning or late in the evening. This is a new problem for me. Usually it is dry enough not to have this problem. This year it's been very wet which is why the slugs are thriving. I don't have a cure yet. Just been picking them off and killing them.Search the internet for slug control.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 9:57PM
austinnhanasmom(5 CO)

Although I can't help id the consumer, I noticed something in my own garden...

I planted dahlias in my front and back yard. In the back bed, there are also many sunflowers. All of the flowers near the sunflowers look fabulous!! The dahlias in the front were getting eaten to nothing each night and the dahlias in the back, near the sunflowers, are tall and in bloom. I also noticed that the sunflowers are covered in lady bugs. I bought lady bugs and released them in the front. I wish I could find sunflower plants but am unable...Anyway, in a very short time, the front dahlias are now finally growing!!

I am loving the lady bugs!!

These sunflowers are very tall - maybe 9'. I planted tiny sunflowers in the back yard, not too far from the tall ones, and they got eaten the first night. In my case, I think it was rabbits. There was NOTHING left of the seedlings.

I will forever buy lady bugs and mantis every spring, if they don't show up naturally.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 11:51PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You are more than welcome to any praying mantid I find, lol! They eat way too many beneficial insects for me to allow them in my gardens.

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
Ipomoea nil I have grown this winter
I wanted to share some photos of Japanese morning glories...
gerris2
Caladium
I picked up some caladium bulbs today -- am wondering...
mxk3
Nasturtium seedlings and 29 degrees
I have some nasturtiums that have sprouted and are...
sara82lee
Morning Glory Seeds
If after nicking and soaking a MG seed a tail sprouts,...
christy51274
Fence decorating w/ annuals & other things?
I was going to post this on vertical gardening but...
ked1985
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™