Impatiens from cuttings: do they root in water?

ornata(London UK (8/9?))July 27, 2005

Hi. I used to take a lot of Impatiens cuttings, and I know they root ridiculously easily... but I can't remember: will they root in water? I grew Impatiens 'Jungle Gold' this year from seed, and it's just occurred to me that I could take cuttings of them (there are so many things to do in the garden that I usually forget the obvious ones!). Thanks a lot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

They do root readily in water; however, though roots form readily and often seemingly more quickly on many plants propagated in water, the roots produced are quite different from those produced in a soil-like or highly aerated medium (perlite - vermiculite - seed starting mix, e.g.). Physiologically, you will find these roots to be much more brittle than normal roots due to a much higher % of aerenchyma (a tissue with a greater percentage of intercellular air spaces than normal parenchyma). If you want to eventually plant your rooted cuttings in soil, it is probably not best to root them in water because of the frequent difficulty in transplanting them to soil. The "water roots" often break during transplant & those that don't break are very poor at water absorption and often die. The effect is equivalent to starting the cutting process over again.

If you do a side by side comparison of cuttings rooted in water & cuttings rooted in soil, the cuttings in soil will always (for an extremely high % of plants) have a leg up in development on those moved from water to a soil medium for the reasons outlined above.

Al

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 7:22AM
ornata(London UK (8/9?))

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I'll use a seed/cutting compost as normal, in that case.

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 8:52AM
ginny12

That's why I love the internet--and GW. You post a question and you get a wonderfully informative answer. Thanks--it was interesting!

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
Best Garden worthy Sunflower?
I haven't found a Sunflower seed to purchase for this...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Annual vine choice
If you had to choose between hyacinth bean (Lablab)...
mxk3
pineapple sage???
Just like the ornamental pepper, I bought this as pineapple...
terratoma
ornamental pepper?
I bought this plant as an ornamental pepper ('Black...
terratoma
Need trellis ideas for growing sweet peas?
Please if you would post pictures of how you grow your...
ladyrose65
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™