When to sow annual poppies and sweet peas

trinquette(6)July 18, 2014

I've had great luck sowing larkspur in the fall. The tiny seedlings winter over, and are robust and early blooming the following spring. Can anyone tell me if I would have the same success with annual poppy seeds and sweet pea seeds? I either forget in the winter, or the snow banks (for poppy seeds) don't cooperate. Thanks, Louise

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

my annual poppies are just peaking bloom ...

which means mine.. will self sow within the next few weeks ...

except for forgetting where you put them.. i dont know why you would need any better time...

and if the seed winters over for me.. in z5 mi... i dont know why they wouldnt in z6 ...

when i doubt.. be the plant.. ooohhhmmmmm

ken

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 6:43PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I agree with Ken, in principle. However, the longer the seeds sit out on the ground, the more chance they have of being eaten or washed away or forgotten and mulched over and dug into. I'd try to wait until at least late fall. Though, if you have plenty of seed, planting them now might allow some to germinate immediately and put down enough roots to have a head start next spring. I'm not being very helpful, am I? There's probably no absolutely correct answer.

Martha

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 7:49AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I plan on planting such plants that could overwinter as rosettes, about first of September if we're getting rains. I'll delay if not, just because of the birds and critters, since nothing will sprout without moisture.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:38PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Poppies can be Autumn sown, no problem. But the Sweet Peas I would sow in the winter (time depends on your climate) under shelter - a cold greenhouse, coldframe or a bright windowsill in a cool room is sufficient. I grow them in TP roll centres to accommodate the long root. Then plant out in Spring after frost. They are pretty hardy but will not survive winter outdoors, at least they don't in my climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Peas from seed

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 3:23AM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

If you remember in winter that you forgot to sow the poppy seeds toss them on the snow! I haven't sowed poppy seeds in one of my beds for two years and still have poppies coming up. I don't want them there and pick them like weeds. So everyone here is right and sow them whenever you want.

I never direct seed sweet peas so can't help there.

SCG

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 2:47PM
trinquette(6)

Thanks everyone for the words of experience. I'll sow the larkspur and poppies in the fall, and continue to start my sweet peas in the winter, using the tp rolls - great idea and a good way to recycle.

I'll let you all know what happens!

Louise

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 6:04AM
More Discussions
suggested flowers for my containers?
Last year in my deck flower boxes I planted Petunias...
njitgrad
plant id please
This is blooming in my house right now. I had it outside...
sorie6
gerris2
What seeds are you starting this year?
I am already planning what seeds I will be starting...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
Sweet Peas: How to keep alive after 1 ft?
I've tried growing Sweet Peas. They get to about 1...
ladyrose65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™