Sunpatiens is the bomb

rouge21_gw(5)July 21, 2014

Of course we will need to do without Impatiens walleriana for the forseeable future.

Last year I planted just a few white "Sunpatiens" in place of walleriana...just as an experiment. The location would be considered shade aspect...say direct morning from only before 10 am. They did just fine.

This year I have some of the pink and again they are doing wonderfully in much less than full sun.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

Love the color combo!

I was thrilled that individual colors of New Guinea impatiens came out a few years ago - now I can grow a lot of them, the cost is no longer prohibitive.

I grew regular impatiens from seed this year, as I always do, and so far no problems with disease.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:38AM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

Love the color combo!

I was thrilled that individual colors of New Guinea impatiens came out a few years ago - now I can grow a lot of them, the cost is no longer prohibitive.

I grew regular impatiens from seed this year, as I always do, and so far no problems with disease.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:39AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Rouge, thanks for bringing this up! I've been really happy with my Sunpatiens...I used coral and bright orange in containers on my back patio. That location only sees full sun in the early morning.

mxk3, I love New Guinea impatiens, too. Some of those hot colors are great...those are the ones I tend to be attracted to lately.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 8:47AM
Desirai(7B)

question,

how do you keep weeds and grass from growing up around/inside/through your flowers?

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 11:34AM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

I thought Sunpatiens are New Guinea impatiens - ?

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:16PM
rouge21_gw(5)

'mxk3', I have had no luck with NGuinea Impatiens. Sunpatiens are for me much superior. And now I am using them in all the same places I had used walleriana.

Here is a link that might be useful: All about SP

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 7:46PM

Sunpatiens are a hybrid ; the parentage is Impatiens walleriana (the problem species) and I. hawkerii (new guinea). The resulting hybrids have proved to be highly resistant to Impatiens downy mildew, they can tolerate heat and sun to a much greater extent than I. walleriana.

Hybrids can only be vegetatively propagated so they are only available as plants. Since they are under patent protection, propagation can only legally be done with a license agreement. Makes it pricey for us to have big beds of them. :-(

I like NG impatiens, but it cannot tolerate conditions that are too moist or if the soil is slow to drain. I grow mine in pretty much full sun.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 8:24PM

Desirai, I don't know about anyone else, but weeds in my garden areas are pulled by hand or chopped with a hoe. There are some exceptions to that, but not many.

'Garden ' is a verb as well as a noun. It takes some time several times a week.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 10:27PM
linlily(z5/6PA)

Rouge, how tall are your plants?

Looks like I will have to buy these next year if I decide I have to have impatiens. I have a large mixed pot by our back door and saw a light orange with darker eye dwarf 4 pack at the nursery that I just had to have this year, even though I know better. This particular variety and color were the only walleriana this nursery was selling-gee I wonder why. I went out today and noticed that the plants look awful. I felt the soil and they don't need water. I picked a leaf and looked at the underside - you guess it, downy mildew. I had coleus there last year and managed to not get dm on the impatiens I had planted there the year before that. Thought I'd take a chance. Anyway, no more of the dwarf walleriana here.

Linda

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 4:23PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Linda, to the highest point in the middle of each plant it is 14".

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 4:30PM
linlily(z5/6PA)

That's a nice height - not too short or too tall.

Do you know if you have the Compact Series or are they the Spreading Series?

Hate to ask all these questions, but these are new to me and I've not seen them when I've been shopping as yet.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 6:26PM
rouge21_gw(5)

I don't know Linda...sorry.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 6:38AM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

They look the same as New Guinea impatiens to me from the picture. I don't recall seeing these IRL, though, so maybe there is more of a differentiation that would be obvious if seen in person.

Still, seems like would be cost prohibitive. I'll stick with my seed-grown New Guinea. I am still THRILLED that the individual colors are now available from seed - probably THE BEST thing to come along in a long while. (at least as far as I'm concerned)

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:56PM
coxy(6)

I agree with mxk3. SPs are way too expensive for any sort of mass planting. They were still around $9 at HD the other day! I too grow NG from seed and they performed wonderfully in varying degrees of light.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:41AM
rouge21_gw(5)

I so don't have a green thumb with NG Impatiens. They seem to fry in the sun for me and don't do well in shade. But this hasn't been the case for my "Sunpatiens" i.e. doing well in the different light aspects I have tried.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 4:59PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Have you seen the variegated version of SP?

Not the best picture but it is thriving as a single plant in this one plant hanging basket.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
grandmamaloy FYI
You should know by now that attaching a link to your...
pineapple sage???
Just like the ornamental pepper, I bought this as pineapple...
terratoma
Need trellis ideas for growing sweet peas?
Please if you would post pictures of how you grow your...
ladyrose65
How much sun can New Guinea Impatiens tolerate?
I thought of all impatiens as shade plants, but my...
linnea56
Growing morning glories on the shady side?
I was wondering how much shade will Heavenly Blue morning...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™