Scaevola (fan flower) died

opossumtrax(6)July 10, 2014

I purchased a lovely hanging scaevola or fan flower with both lavender and white flowers a month ago. It did very well for a month. I watered it at least 1x a day and misted the leaves when it seemed droopy. All of a sudden it died. And I do mean suddenly. I took it down from the hook and set it out in my yard with the intention of composting it. Today I was going to remove it from the hanging planter but I did see that some of the stems were still green among the mostly brown stems. So I gave it a severe haircut, watered it and set it in the shade to see if it will recover. Can anyone advise me why this charming plant suddenly died? And is there any chance I can revive it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbiecz3(z3MB)

Scaevola is a very heat and drought tolerant plant that is native to Australia. I think maybe you have been too generous with the watering and root/stem rot has occurred. Let it dry out a bit and maybe it will recover. Only water when it's dry; stick your finger down into the pot to check the moisture. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 10:20PM
opossumtrax(6)

Thank you, Debbie. My neighbor who works at a nursery told me to water it 2x a day so I stepped up my watering schedule. Maybe too much watering is what did it in. I still didn't discard it because I still see green stems but I don't know whether it will come back...

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:32AM
bettyfb

I have Fan Flower growing in a pot and several in the ground. I made the soil in the pots and it is mostly pine bark fines. This allows for more oxygen to get to the roots, and it also requires more watering. I water my pots daily and especially with temps in mid 90's. I also have mixed in pine bark fines and composted cow manure in the ones planted in the ground, and they get watered every other day. They are due for a trim, as you can see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fan flower

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:08PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Opossum, never trust a suggestion to water according to a schedule. Watering needs to be done according to how much moisture is in the potting mix, and that's detected by poking and prodding with your fingers.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 6:21PM
bettyfb

Pots made with Tapla's potting soil recipe are mostly pine bark fines, and when the temps are in the high 90's the pots need watering daily.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:55PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Regardless what the potting mix, what the plant, or what the weather, I would still trust my finger to tell me what's going on under the surface. It's very likely that a well draining medium would need watering daily, and my finger will confirm that.

Martha

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
Ipomoea nil I have grown this winter
I wanted to share some photos of Japanese morning glories...
gerris2
Hyacinth bean vine (Lablab)
Anyone grown this one? I grew hyacinth bean a long...
mxk3
Amaranthus
Anyone raise amaranthus? I tried it first this year,...
Diamond2014
ornamental pepper?
I bought this plant as an ornamental pepper ('Black...
terratoma
Morning Glory Seeds
If after nicking and soaking a MG seed a tail sprouts,...
christy51274
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™